Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JCCK

JCCK

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

I was just referred to this area by another person on this website, I guess I started my topic in the wrong area. Anyways, I have an Acer Aspire 1800 Notebook computer, and just recently I started to have some troubles with it. When I push the power button on it, I get three beeps, one long, then two short, then nothing happens after that. On the other thread that I have, here is the link, we determined that it could be something wrong with my video card. If this is the case, or if you need some more information before you give me a definite answer, just let me know, I will be glad to give you what ever you need to know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

How old is the notebook?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

About 3 years old

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

In your other post you stated the fans do not turn on. Is that still the case? Does the power connection to the notebook feel solid or is it kind of loose?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:27 AM

Wow, I'm just full of lies lately. When I first turn on the computer, the fans to spin, then I get the three beeps. Then after about a minuet or two, all the fans start to spin again. This is about normall as to when I used to turn on the computer and it would work. Currently I am just running off of the battery, so I didn't check if the power connection is secure or not, but if you want me to, I will check that for you and get back to you on that asap.

I don't know much about what happens when the BIOS finds something wrong, if it continues booting up the computer, or if it just sits there at a stand still or not. But it seems that when I turn off the computer, I just have to press the power button, and then it turns off right away. It seems as if Windows never even started to load, otherwise, wouldn't it have to perform the shutdown process before it turns off?

I just thought of another thing that could confirm that it is something wrong with the graphics card. Before I started having these major problems, the computer not turning on, the computer would crash with the blue screen, and before it turns off, I could read that it had something to do with the memory got stuck in an infinite loop, or something like that, and then there would be something about an ATI file, and so I found this file and determined that it is indeed my graphic card's driver. Also, on occasion, I would be loading something, like music, and it would freeze up, then it would start responding again, and with it, the whole desktop, or what ever program I am running would become huge, and it would go black and white, and I would get an error message stating that the ATI graphics driver is screwed up, and I should check for updates. Once the computer is restarted, I checked for updates on both ACER's web site, and I tried on ATI's website too, both of them did not have any updates for the card. Don't know if this would help, but I think it would, but I just thought I would share my experiences of this computer with you.

Let me know what you can think of this, and if there is anything that you want me to check to find out what is actually wrong with this computer. Thanks in advance once again.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

after downloading and skimming your manual I can see no reference to your laptop having a removable video card

if you can't boot into safe mode or access bios then it sounds like you have a hardware problem

do all testing when the battery is fully charged and you are connected to ac power
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

I did that plenty of time before, and just recently too, and it always starts with the fans, the the three beeps, and then two minuets of silence, then the fans kick in. If I bring it into the place that I bought it from, could they possibly figure out how to replace the graphics card, or is it time to kick the computer to the curb, and just get a new one. Or is there even something that could get me another year or two out of this computer, that would be great if that could happen.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

As DaChew mentioned, not all laptops have video cards. Yours does not. That means it's a soldered in chip. The Geek Squad won't even touch it. A small local repair shop could replace the motherboard for you. I doubt if you'll find someone to just replace the chip. I'm almost sure they would give you an estimate. whether it's worth it or not is up to you
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

Thaks guys, I'll be taking it to the local computer shop to check it, hopefully it will be a resonably price for it, highly doubt it for the place im going to. Thanks for your time and knowledge, I still know where to come for future computer problems.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

One friend of mine buys a fairly high end laptop every 3 years, he pays extra for the extended warranty(3 year full),
his last laptop(compaq) had keyboard, display and hard drive replaced. He sells the laptop or gives it away to a relative after the warranty is over. And this guys works on laptops. Another friend client has already worn out their pc card slot with their 3g card, it's about 18 months old, off warranty, replacing the card slot looks like a total disassembly job, they switched to a usb adapter.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

There is a small chance that it could be memory related since an onboard graphics chips shares the memory with the computer. Since you stated having problems loading programs and the computer momentarily freezing up on you I would run Memtest to rule out a memory problem. Memory is allot easier and cheaper to replace then a graphics chip.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

Ok, I'll have my computer checked for the memory too. If it does turn out to be that the graphics card is fried, could it be possible to just buy a PCI graphics card and just use that instead?

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

From a PM:

"Hi there, you were helping me with my Acer Aspire 1800 with the mohterboard issues, and I just had another question. I posted it on the thread, but here it is again. If the issue is indeed the graphics card/motherboard, could I just buy a PCI graphics card and just have it run off of that instead of getting a new motherboard? A freind at school told me about this, and that made me interested in it. Sorry to bug you about this again, but I was just interested if you knew anything about this, and if it would fix my issue. Thanks in advance."

Product description:
"Providing graphics output to the 17" wide-aspect LCD screen is ATI's x600 GPU riding the PCI Express X16 bus. 64MB of Dedicated memory cares for graphics storage. The LCD incidentally boasts a standard resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels."

Dedicated being the key word. It is a non-replaceable, soldered-in video chip.

Acer support
http://ati.amd.com
Mark

I just went through the schematic, you do not have a video card. The part number for your motherboard is LB.A2902.001

Edited by garmanma, 23 January 2008 - 01:50 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users