Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New External Hard Drive Making Buzzing Sound

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gleeman

Gleeman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

I just bought a new Maxtor 750GB 7200rpm external hard drive 3 weeks ago, and it just started making a buzzing noise about an hour ago. I've shut it down and started it up a few times now. And the buzzing comes on after a minute or two. I'm only using 150 or so GB of the Maxtor drive.

The first time it started, I was running a scan by either Norton AntiVirus 2008, Spybot, AVG Antivirus free-edition, AVG Anti-Spyware free-edition, or AVG Anti-rootkit free-edition. (Yes, I'm short on cash.) I can't remember which. I also recently installed Zone Alarm's free firewall along with the AVG anti-rootkit. I doubt this matters, though.

I'm trying to copy everything over to my internal HDD, and I stop as soon as it makes the sound. I'm not making much progress. I'll quit with that, for now. I'm only using 150 or so GB of the Maxtor drive.

I already ran the packaged diagnostic software even while the buzzing sound was going, but it ran without any detections. For the past 2 weeks, I've been leaving the drive on its side while running. I also just realized that my Norton AV (Anti-Virus) was performing a scan on it each time I started it up. I've disabled the automatic media scan, and now I'm checking if the noises continue. They do, even when the drive is completely disconnected from my computer; it's just on.

I'm running WinXP pro sp2, and I built the computer myself. That's all the information I can think of that pertains the the HD problem. Tell me if you need more and thanks a lot for your help.

PS, I assume it's dying, but I want to make sure before I try to send it off to Maxtor for a replacement.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

Phone call to Maxtor support may have solved this for you.

In any case, if you intend to return it, you will have to contact them...so why not now?

Are there any Windows messages indicating problems with the drive (in Event Viewer)?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#3 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

Run the manufactures diagnostic tool-
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD
You'll need NetFramework installed to run the application.
X

#4 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

Just my opinion, but if it wasn`t making that noise before, and now it is, three weeks later, I would take it back under warranty, and not even try to diagnose. I will tell you one thing, in your post you state you were running a scans by either Norton Antivirus 2008, or AVG Antivirus Free edition. To have 2 antivirus programs on the same computer is a no-no.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:32 AM

As it has already been mentioned running two anti virus programs at the same time is not a good idea, it will produce false positives.

Are you sure that the buzzing noise is coming form the hdd and not the external case?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

The buzzing sound could indicate a power supply issue too if it can't support an external HDD that runs on high wattage...also, if you have a long USB cord this sometimes creates power issues too (maybe try a shorter cord to reduce the resistance??) Also, if you have a lot of other things plugged into your USB ports this could result in a lack of power availability to run the external HDD. Try unplugging other USB components and see if it still clicks. Just a thought...if its not a power problem then the drive is probably bad.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#7 Gleeman

Gleeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. Conclusion: the problem was that it was on its side. I've been running it for a few months now always rightside-up. It doesn't make the noise anymore, although it took a couple of days to stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users