Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited Or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WaltM

WaltM

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

My daughter's computer lost connectivity to the internet after she clicked "OK" to a message asking if she wanted to upgrade her firewall. Her computer uses an Asus P4P800-VM motherboard with an onboard Ethernet card, and XP Pro. Her ISP is Comcast and she has a Motorola Surfboard 5102 cable modem that connects to her Ethernet port.

The computer won't load any page from the Internet although it can ping google.com and 64.233.169.147 from the command line. The local area connection icon on the lower right corner of the monitor screen says "Limited or No Connectivity".

I can't use System Restore because I uninstalled Norton System Works and Go Back. I didn't realize until after I removed the application that nothing is saved in System Restore when Go Back is installed. I can't find the original System Works disk to reinstall the application.

Device Manager indicates that the system has two network adaptors; one is the onboard Ethernet card and the other is the Surfboard modem. I think that having two network adaptors causing this problem but, no matter what I do, the Surfboard ends up being detected and installed as a network adaptor.

Iím out of ideas. Can anyone suggest what I should try next?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Recycle the connection...remove the power plug from the Motorola modem for a few seconds, then connect it again.

The NIC is one device, the modem is another. The modem should be reflected as a modem, the NIC is the network adapter.

If you have the modem connected directly to your system, both should be reflected in Device Manager.

What firewall would that be that you mention in your post?

Louis

#3 WaltM

WaltM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

I recycled the connection but that doesn't change anything. I've also uninstalled modem from network adaptors, rebooted the computer, allowed the system to detect the modem as new hardware, directed the driver install to a current driver. However, no matter what I try, the modem always gets installed as a network adaptor.

The firewall was ZoneAlarm. The computer is using the XP firewall now.

My own system is similar to my daughter's, it uses an Asus P4P800 MB with a different onboard NIC card, XP, and the same cable modem. Device Manager on my computer lists a single network adaptor, the onboard NIC card, but it does not list the modem anywhere ... this is most likely how it should look on my daughter's computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

Do either of these systems use a router?

I use a Motorola 5100 modem, but I connect it to a router.

Then I set up my home network and designate the router as a residential gateway connection. The modem appears nowhere on my system.

You say that you have two computers using the same cable modem as the Internet connection...is this a home network? Did you use the Network Wizard to set it up?

If so, I suspect that your modem should have been designated as a residential gateway...and the setup probably depicts one computer connecting through the other (which is not accurate).

Long ago when I first set up my home network, that was how I tried it and also received various limited/no connectivity warnings...until I changed the way that I had it set up.

The one variable which you can easily check on both systems....make sure that the protocols enabled for your connection on the Good Computer matches the protocols enabled on the Limited Connection system. The way to do this is to click on the connection, click Properties...write down the checked items in the windows...and then go to the computer with the problems and make sure that the same items are reflected for that computer as are for the Good Computer.

Louis

#5 WaltM

WaltM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

Louis,

My daughter and I live in different cities and neither of us uses a router nor have home networks. Our commuters are similar in that they both use Asus motherboards with onboard NIC cards, and that they both use the same model cable modem. I apologize for not describing our situation clearly.

Walt ...

#6 WaltM

WaltM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

The connection protocol on both computers are set the same.

Walt ...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

I have no answers...I don't use ZA, but I fail to see that a software firewall update would impact connectivity, since updates just roll over current configuration settings.

Louis

#8 WaltM

WaltM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

I'm not sure whether the firewall update actually had anything to do with the problem, however, internet connectivity was lost after the firewall update. I believe that the problem now is that the computer thinks it has two network adaptors and, I think that if I can get the modem to install as a modem and not as an adaptor, I'll have it licked.

Louis, I appreciate your suggestions. Thank you.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:06 AM

I've used several Asus motherboards with the Motorola modems and have never had them detected as a hardware device on my systems. I would disable the one that says Surfboard modem and see if that helps with connectivity. If not, re-enable it and then disable the other network device to see if that helps.

I suspect that the download was related to updating some components of your Norton products - and wonder if removing them with the Norton Removal Tool will help (free here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039 )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users