Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Issues, Possibly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JCCK

JCCK

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 1800, and when I go to turn on my computer, I just get 4 beeps, and nothing at all, none of the fans go, the screen does nothing, it just sits there. I took it into Geek Squad to have them look at, but when they told me that it would cost 60 dollars to have them just look at, that wouldn't cover any of the hardware prices, I told them that I would take care of it myself. Well before I took it away, they told me that it might have something to do with the memory, and I was just looking for a second oppinion on this comment. Anybody an Acer repair person and know what this might be, or should I find a place that would look it, and get a profecional hands on answer? Thanks in advance, let me know if you need to know anything else, I hope I can get this computer to work for me once again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

That would be your BIOS telling you have a problem. If you know which BIOS you have go to this site for the 4 beeps and what it means. If you don't know what BIOS you have scroll down to the bottom of the page and use the BIOS Wizard.
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

That would be your BIOS telling you have a problem. If you know which BIOS you have go to this site for the 4 beeps and what it means. If you don't know what BIOS you have scroll down to the bottom of the page and use the BIOS Wizard.
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

EDIT: Strange how this reply double posted

Edited by CTH_Tom, 19 January 2008 - 04:39 PM.

X

#3 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

Well, if the Acer website is correct on telling me what my BIOS is, and if I am correct on the beeps, then I believe I'm under the Standard Original IBM POST Error Codes section, with the 1 long, 2 short beeps which means that I have a Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA). Do you have any more help for me on this.

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

You originally posted you were getting 4 beeps. Now it's 3 beeps. Can you clarify?
X

#5 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

It is indeed 3 beeps, I didn't have my computer by me when I first posted, but I then rechecked, and it is 1 long beep, then 2 short beeps that I am getting. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

Can you use the BIOS Wizard on the website I posted to verify your BIOS version. Hate to be a pain but it's important to know.
EDIT:Never mind you can't use the computer. Reread your post.
Sounds like you need to replace the video card. But I'm not familiar with that make/model. I would post this in the hardware forum as it's more related to that than XP.

Edited by CTH_Tom, 19 January 2008 - 06:29 PM.

X

#7 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hey, thanks for your help. Sorry for posting it onto this thread right away, I don't know what I was thinking. I now reposted my problem on the hardware thread, hopefully they can help me out further. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.

#8 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hope all the best in the outcome of this problem for you. :thumbsup:
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users