Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittant "no Post"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ssmail8835

ssmail8835

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hello everyone. I have an intermittent problem that maybe someone can help me with. Occassinally when I hit the power button on my desktop computer, I'll get a continuous loop single beep. I can go several weeks or months and this won't happen, but out of the blue, I'll get this continuous beep. When this happens, it's instant after I hit the power button, there is no vid display, no post up, just a blank screen with a beeping computer. I've had this computer for about 4 years and it has happened on occassion throughout these 4 years. When this happens, I simply hold the power button for a few seconds to shut it off and push it again and everthing boots up ok. It's not a severe problem, just an annoyance. By the way, the system is not overclocked. The following are my specs:

Windows XP SP 2
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1 gig stick of ram DDR 3200 (new)
512 mb stick of ram DDR 2700
(had 2 - 256 sticks of ram and recently upgraded)
160 gig western digital harddrive (new)
3 optical drives & floppy drive
Nvidia Geforce 6200 AGP vid card 256 memory (new)
(upgraded to get away of onboard Geforce video)
Antec 430 Earthwatts PS (new)
(old 300 watt died)
MSI board (MS6777) with Nvidia chipset
BIOS: Phoenix Tech LTD 6.00 PG 08/02/2004

I want to think this is a ram issue, but when I had the 2 - 256 sticks, I had the same intermittant, annoying issue. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

BIOS Beep Codes - http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2008 - 05:22 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Intermittent can be almost impossible to diagnose. Beep codes can give you a clue where to start looking. It could be a loose or failing component or connection, who knows. Even though you changed memory, you still might want to download and run memtest86
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 ssmail8835

ssmail8835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

Intermittent can be almost impossible to diagnose. Beep codes can give you a clue where to start looking. It could be a loose or failing component or connection, who knows. Even though you changed memory, you still might want to download and run memtest86
Mark

Hi garmanma. Thanks for your response. I've run memtest for a good 8 to 10 hours once and there was no errors indicated. I've also booted up to a floppy with the microsoft memory tester and ran it for many hours with no errors. I agree with you, intermittent is hard to diagnose. One question, though. The instant a person pushes the power button, is memory the first component to be accessed? Because like I said, when this happens, the beeps come instantaneous after the button is pushed. I did get away from the onboard video and I'm using the AGP card now. I thought the onboard vid was the problem. But apparently not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users