Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

I just got a new hard drive and proceeded to install Windows XP on it. When it was done, it restarted to do the final installlation, as it always does. When it got to the Windows XP screen, I recieved bad image errors on two files. I tried to let it install for an hour, but the progress never continued. I then tried a restart, but now I can't get anything; it crashes and restarts each time.

I decided to try and reformat using the Windows Recovery Console. Unfortunately, now it says I need an Administrator password. I have tried [SPACE], admin, password, ands windows and had no luck. I don't have a current password on the system since it is a brand new drive.

My questions are:

1. Does the hard drive need a new installation to finish?
2. What is the default password for Recovery Console, or is there a way to reset it with the limited access I have now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

You don't format from the Recovery Console, if that's what you are trying to do. You format by electing the Install option on the XP CD.

The Recovery Console is primarily for repair purposes.

When asked for a password to run RC commands, just hit Enter (there is no password).

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Since you don't have anything to lose, just do a clean install following guidance above and don't worry about what you have already done.

You will need to delete any partition which shows up as existing...when you do your clean install. Then you will create a new partition, format it. XP will install itself on that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users