Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost In The Woods

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 novice4

novice4

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

hi all,
a real novice here so be easy.
can not open up my virus or spyware scanners since yesterday.
re-installed all ,still the same still will not open
cannot update high secuirty updates for windows as well error code 0xd00e4104 and 0x800700c1
tried to do system restore will not restore.
tried also Safe Mode I get there starts then stops with this:
STOP 0x0000007b(0xf89d5528,0xc0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000
not sure of what is happening
i have widows xp pro.
please help
thanks to all

Edited by novice4, 19 January 2008 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

It sounds like either your hard drive is failing, or you are infected. Those are the two most likely reasons you are having troubles.

First, make copies of all of the data on your computer you don't want to lose by burning to a cd, or putting on a thumbdrive or external hard drive. I am talking about all of your pictures, Word documents, etc. The reason for this is because if you are experiencing a hard drive failure you may loose all access to them very soon.

Next run Error Checking on your hard drive. This is found at:

Start > My Computer > right click on the drive > Properties > Tools tab

Choose both options availabe:

Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

When this completes, let us know the results. Also it would be helpful to know if you have any other symtoms, such as popups and the like. Because checking for an infection will be the next step.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 novice4

novice4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

went to check disc and this happens:
the disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some windows files on the disk.These files can be accessed only by restarting windows.do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you start the computer?

thanks for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

You need to answer "yes".

FWIW: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Louis

#5 novice4

novice4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

ok answered yes ,now what?
thanks for the help

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

Answer yes. Then reboot your computer. Disk check should run after restart.

I would like to add a couple of things to back up, in addition to what was mentioned by Albert.
If you use an email client (Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) you will need to back up and save any messages you don't want to lose AND your address book. These will be lost when a format is done.
Another thing people don't often mention to save-your favorites/bookmarks if you have them saved using Windows favorites option in the toolbar.

#7 novice4

novice4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

done check disc and windows started ok.
what do i do now?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

Now that you are reasonably assured that your hard drive has no serious problems, you need to read and understand http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Essentially, none of us are sure why you received that error message...but it's up to you go down the list and eliminate possible causes from the list of known causes.

One of the first steps should be a malware scan and an AV scan, each conducted with reliable, updated products that can be trusted.

Louis

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

Have you tried opening your scanners or installing Windows updates? What happens when you try this?

Just in case your hard drive is failing-you need to back up folders and files.
Also, it was mentioned your computer might be infected-you might want to

Read the information

HERE-Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log

Prior to posting a HJT log, we ask that you please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide. If you have performed some of them already, then just continue with the next. If you can't perform a step, then skip it and continue with the next. The last step will include downloading and using the most current version of HijackThis if the first line of your log does not appear as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Please note that it is important that HijackThis be run and a log created while in normal mode. If you run it and create your log while in safe mode, you will be asked to redo it again properly. When you have completed those steps, start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Guide to post a new log.

The log should be posted in

HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal

Please DO NOT post your log to this topic, or post a log in the wrong forum.

Once that is done, a Member of the HJT Team will analyze your log and assist you with step by step instructions to clean your computer or otherwise advise what needs to be done.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck.
The BC Staff

#10 novice4

novice4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

i have avast ant ivirus and AVG anti spware neither will open up .
how can i scan for malware?
this all started from me trying to do a virus scan and would not open up.
then went to get widows high security updates and would not install at all.
hope this helps
thank-you all for your aid much appreciated.

i have just gone back to try and get high security updates and get this:[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the following resources.

done what it say's above and is now started.
went back to windows express updates and says to install this.
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130
when i do it does not install and when i go back to history nothing is showing up as the genuine advantage tool
only the error codes trying to get high security updates 0xd00e4104,ox800700c1

Edited by novice4, 19 January 2008 - 04:38 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

1) Open up the computer and find the name of the manufacturer of your hard drive. Go to that manufacturer's website and download a free diagnostic tool from there and run it on your computer. It'll test your hard drive and will let you know if it's failing. If it is failing, BACKUP YOUR DATA NOW!!! - the drive may fail at any time, taking all your data with it!!! If it's not failing, then follow Queen-Evie's advice in the post above yours.

Edited by usasma, 20 January 2008 - 07:55 AM.
Brain cramp

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users