Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Freezing On Startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

Ok, recently I was having loads of blue screens, which I finally pinned on a bad RAM stick, which is now back in the shop along with its matched twin. I have been given a replacement single stick until they get the replacement parts in. ANYWAY, there is something else wrong with my PC now.

It's hanging when I start it up, often just freezing during loading or during windows. Wondering if it was a software problem I went out and bought a new hard drive and I am trying to install windows on it, but it just keeps freezing without any beeps or anything.

That's the only symptom, except once when I turned it on the screen went white and I got a long beep on repeat, but I've never had this again.

I know it's not the RAM, I don't see how I can find out what else it could be...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

I think I would reseat the RAM currently installed and try to boot. I'd also check all connections and reseat all installed PCI cards.

Louis

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:49 PM

I does sound like a memory issue. I kind of wonder why you would bother to try and repair a memory stick? Most RAM can be gotten for a reasonable price. I would think it would cost you more in the labor and robots solder much better than most humans.

DR

#4 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

They aren't getting repaired, the shop has given me a replacement stick while they wait for replacements on the faulty twin pair I took back...

What is baffling me is that it would appear to be RAM related, yet the stick they have given me is brand new. I almost get the impression my PC is breaking my RAM sticks. What could be causing that?

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

I have seen motherboards take down power supplies but never RAM. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I imagine it could if the voltages were too high although they are supposed to have voltage regulators. You should be able to check that easily, by installing it in another machine or using a memory tester. www.memtest86.com has a tester. Have you tried that yet? You should be able to run that; if you can't I would say the motherboard is suspect.

Have you had your power supply checked?

DR

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

Detail on system/motherboard...type of RAM...those might be nice.

You do have the RAM appropriate for that board, right?

I guess I don't understand buying a new hard drive...when the (obvious) problem (prior) was RAM.

Did you get the new drive formatted...how far did the install of XP go? Is the new drive SATA? If not, are the jumpers set correctly for the connection?

Louis

#7 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

It really is difficult to decide what is relevent when asking questions!

Well I needed a new HD drive anyway, lacking another PC to test the RAM on I got a small HD to install a fresh copy of windows on it incase it was software related.

I'll have that mem test run on it.

The memory is DDR2 Xtreme by Corsair, and the motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI. The power source is old, but not too powerful.

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:33 AM

You don't need another PC to test your RAM. http://www.memtest86.com is an ISO image and boots up by itself.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users