Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logon Issues After Teatimer Run In

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Da Ninja

Ken Da Ninja

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

Okay, first of all, I'm new, so nice to meet you guys. I've always been a fan of the website and I've come here a few times to find answers to my computing questions. I would consider myself a mid-top entry computer person; I'm better with software than hardware (and Windows internals).

Last night, after restarting my computer (it was being a tad slow), a Teatimer pop up appears saying that there has be a change to a registry; I do not remember what it said, I was even going to look it up but my FiOs was down. The file in question was Winlogon or Userinit... So, not knowing what I should do, I leave the popup without allowing or rejecting the change. After a while the popup was bothering me, so I made the fatal mistake of right click closing the pop up, and this lead to a rejection to the change (it also crashed Teatimer).

This morning, when I turned on my computer, the user selection screen came up (I have disabled this since there's only 1 account aside from the administrator account). When I click my profile, it shows the loading user profile text and stuff, but then it quickly starts to show the log off text.

Review: Rejected a change to the registry, either Winlogon(.exe?) or Userinit(.exe?), and now I cannot log on.

Also, my attempts to use a Windows XP disc to use the Recovery Console failed, it would not boot the disc (and yes, the cd drive is first in boot order)!

Thanks in advance guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

FWIW: Changes to the registry are routine when certain programs update.

I don't use TeaTimer, even though I do maintain Spybot on one of my desktops.

Can you access Safe Mode? What about options to revert to last known good configuration?

If so, I would enter Safe Mode and then run chkdsk on the drive in question...and reboot.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Louis

#3 Ken Da Ninja

Ken Da Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

When I use safe mode, the only difference is that the administrator account appears along with my default account. When I click on the two, the same thing happens. When I tried the last good configuration, my system hangs with a blank screen.

I was able to get my Windows XP disc to work; I have already tried the copy userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe thing, that does not work since I don't have a wsaupdater file.

I also don't want to reinstall my Windows XP at the moment. I recently had to reformat my computer after a faulty dual boot attempt with Ubuntu (I ended up rendering my old Windows partition useless, right now I'm using my second partition which I reinstalled Windows; just a sidenote, I know this has nothing to do my with problem now).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

I would run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Windows-Recover...sole-from-XP-CD At the end of the 5th instruction, just type chkdsk /r, hit Enter and it will scan the drive for errors.

Louis

#5 Ken Da Ninja

Ken Da Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

Ok, I managed to creat a XP Home disc with SP2 slipstreamed in.

Problem is that now the Windows Updates I download fails to install. Any solutions?

I guess epic fail on my part... Shouldn't have made a slipstream disc.

I refuse to do a clean windows install. Would uninstalling the service pack two files (Is that possible with a Windows intall with SP2?) and then reinstalling SP2 separate work?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

May apply: http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/win...dows_update.htm

Louis

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

There is malware called winfixer which messes up the winlogon file.
I'd do a search here how to detect/remove it.
I recall needed to remove it using HijackThis on the next boot, because McAfee detected it but could not remove it since it's a file used by Windows, or something like that. Winlogon is in the windows directory.

Avoid the reinstallation like a plague? Me too :thumbsup:

I think posting HijackThis log on this site would be a good idea.

#8 Ken Da Ninja

Ken Da Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

Hahaha, tos226, I just reinstalled Windows, it didn't look like anything was wrong...

hamluis, thank you for the article, I think that is definately it...

However, I did the batch file on the site and it didn't work... Maybe I have to restart or redownload the updates (which I don't know how to do, since I already downloaded the 80+ files)

EDIT

Ok, I didn't do the batch file correctly, now I'm waiting for the installation thing to come back, hopefully this works, thanks guys!

Edited by Ken Da Ninja, 19 January 2008 - 09:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users