Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro. Invalid Boot Ini File

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 judda

judda

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:15 AM

Hello Guys,

Whenever I reboot my computer I get an error message :

"Invalid Boot.ini File, Booting from C drive"

There is no problem booting up, But I would like to know, if I have done something wrong, If so what can I do to rectify it.

My daughter has spent some time on my Desktop PC getting my wifes laptop on line, Successfully, and safely (with the help of the guys here)

Could she have done something maybe ???

PS : I am sorry I have been told before, to put my information on as well, whenever I ask for help, I keep forgetting, : It's my age you know *smile*

I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional / Version 2002 / Service 2 Pack/AMD Processor Model unknown / 1.61 GHz 512 MG of Ram

Thank you for any help.

Judda.

Edited by judda, 19 January 2008 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

Try this:
Start->Run -> MSCONFIG
Click the tab labelled BOOT.INI
What's displayed in the top part of the window?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

Hello tswsl1989,

There is no BOOT.INI, Only SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI : they both have the same thing on the top which is ::: ;msconfig;for 16-bit app support

When I clicked OK, a warning came up to say, ::I should log on using an Administration Account to make changes::: can you please tell me how to do that as well.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Judda.

Edited by judda, 19 January 2008 - 02:23 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

There is a boot.ini file.

You can do a search of your C: partition and it will show you that file.

You can also go Start/Run, then type msconfig and hit OK. 7 tabs should be visible, boot.ini is the middle tab.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

It appears that there is a boot.ini file and it's invalid, hence the warining from XP. Search all of your drives for instances of boot.ini and let us know where you find them. Also, if possible, open each up and copy/paste the contents into your next post.

I suspect that, in fixing the laptop, some changes were made to the boot.ini file that aren't recognized by this Windows installation - and suspect that they'd be easily fixed using the Recovery console and the "fixboot" and "fixmbr" commands.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hello Hamluis,
I did as you said and went to Start/run typed, msconfig and hit OK and a box called System Configuration Utility opened and in that box wasfive tabs : General : SYSTEM.INI : WIN.INI : Services : Startup, nothing else.

I also did as usasma said, andused the Search program and typed in boot.ini and all it found was : boot.ini.backup C\Window\pss 1kb : when I clicked on this entry it showed another box called WINDOWS, which said : Windows cannot open this file : File: boot.ini.backup.

Is there anything else I can try for you both.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Judda.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

Appears to me that you are missing key files which it should have been impossible to boot without.

I punt :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:23 AM

Open Notepad. (Start->Run->Notepad)
File->Open
In the filename box, type C:\windows\pss\boot.ini.backup
I the file looks like something like this: (doesn't need to be identical)
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Then:
File->Save as
In the filename box, type C:\boot.ini
Save

You will need to be logged in as an Administrator to do this.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#9 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:54 AM

BINGO :::

Thanks you Guys you are all OK A1 in my book,

LOL Hamluis what does I Punt mean ??? I can guess, but I may be wrong .

I did as tswsl1989 told me to do, and then I rebooted and there is no sign of the warning :invalid\boot.ini. Thank you very much.

OK now guys, the truth, How serious was that, you were all pretty concerned that the Boot.ini.File was missing, what could have been the worse secenario. ???

I would really like to know.

Also is the fix that tswsl1989 gave to me the fix for all with this problem, I would like to know I could help people if they had the same problem,
Obviously I visit several Computer Help forums, just to be Nosey, I am sticking to Bleeping Computer for all my help You haven't failed me yet.

Thank you all once more guys, it is a pleasure to know you all, as I seem to do, reading the amount of times you help people like myself.

A very relieved, Judda

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:31 AM

As long as your Windows installation is located at multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) (and is also your C:\ drive) you should be able to use this for most computers.

Congrat's to tswsl1989 for this fix!

What it appears happened was that the boot.ini file was missing from the boot drive of your system. tswsl1989 had you recreate it and put it on the C:\ drive - where it made the XP boot loader very happy! :thumbsup: Why it was able to boot is a mystery, although I suspect that one of the other boot.ini files that you located was on the PATH for Windows so that the system could locate it.

If you want to try this fix, there's a couple of things that you can do to prevent problems with it:
Get a boot disk that allows you to write to NTFS volumes (a DOS boot disk won't do for most). The Recovery Console in XP will allow this, as will Windows PE/Bart PE. You'll need this in the event that you can't get into Windows after applying your boot.ini file.
If you browse the C:\ drive you can look for a boot.ini file.
If you find it, you can rename it to something like boot.bak (in case you have to restore it)
Then you can insert your boot.ini file to see if it works
Worst case is that it won't boot at all - then you restore the old copy by renaming it from boot.bak to boot.ini (after deleting your boot.ini)

XP has some fairly common issues that can be resolved by using the Recovery Console and repairing the boot files on your computer - but you stand the risk of making the computer non-bootable. So become well-versed in the use of the Recovery Console by booting from the XP installation CD - and become well versed in the construction of the boot.ini file.

How to edit the boot.ini file in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022/
How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:55 AM

Kudos to tswls1989 :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

[snip] Why it was able to boot is a mystery, although I suspect that one of the other boot.ini files that you located was on the PATH for Windows so that the system could locate it.
[snip]

If Windows XP can't find a boot.ini file, then it boots from the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) (C:\), almost exactly as if the boot.ini I posted was present. (It won't add the /noexecute switch)
For 90% of PCs, the boot.ini file I posted should work.

Glad it helped Judda :thumbsup:

Edited by tswsl1989, 20 January 2008 - 10:26 AM.

Tom

Tswsl1989

#13 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

hello Guys,

As I have said before, you are all good chaps <s>
Thanks again for the explanation of the Boot.ini.File and the links to the How To's usasma.

Louis you still didn't tell me what 'I punt' means <vbs>

tswsl1989 I am glad you have the respect of these guys as well as myself.

Thanks again guys.

Judda.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

I sometimes forget that this is a worldwide phenomenon, I wasn't trying to ignore the question :flowers:.

In the U.S., what we call football (unlike the rest of the world that calls what we call "soccer" football) is a well-known game. One of the straegies of playing football mandates a kick (what we call a punt) of the ball, when obvious attempts to execute offensively...fail.

Soooo, "I punt" is just another way of saying "I can't do anything here, no matter how I try." An admission of (hopefully) temporary defeat :thumbsup:.

Happy computing!

Louis

#15 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

Thanks Louis,

It is not often you fail to help anyone in these forums, your input was accepted with gratitude.

Thanks for the explanation.

Judda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users