Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flogging A Dead Horse?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 irayte

irayte

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:25 AM

I hope I am not flogging a dead horse. I am trying to add a video card to my older desktop. Here are the specs of the sysytem and the card I am working with.
E-machine W3080
Athlon XP 3000 running at 2.16 Ghz 1gb of RAM, running xp pro SP2 MSI mother board MS-6734
ATI Radeon 9550 AGP 8X 256MB

I have reflashed my bios, and tried every driver I can find both directly from ATI and third party. I have changed my bios settings both 4X and 8X, 128MB and 256MB.

The problem I am having is I can't play any type of game no matter how simple, the monitor will flash black, I will get a beep or critical fault sound, the desktop will come back and thats it. It was running for a while with the bios set a 4X 128mb but even then the games would start, run for around 5-10 min then either lock the game or re-boot the system. I am trying to make this computer usable for my kid to play simple games on, but the on-board chipset won't support some of them, hence the addition of the video card.

I know this system is outdated but I was hoping to get some more use out of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

I see that they are fairly specific about the memory used:

Main Memory
Supports four memory banks by using two 184-pin DDR DIMMs
Support upto 2GB of DDR200/266/333 DDR SDRAM.
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMM
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

Do you think your memory is of the correct type?

DR

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

A friend is having a similar problem with an even newer ati card, we suspect his memory isn't quite compatible between 2 different sticks, we updated his bios to get the memory running closer to it's specs. The OS has been clean installed twice and run as a repair disk after that. When he gets the time we will run memtest. Directx direct3d tests all fail. The latest catalyst drivers and netframework 2 are giving me a dim view of amd/ati right now.

Edited by DaChew, 19 January 2008 - 09:10 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 irayte

irayte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:15 AM

The memory has been in the system for over two years, until I added the video card the computer functioned fine and was completely stable. I don't even remember the manufacturer but I know it is the right speed.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

my friends memory has been in his computer for over a year, it quit playing games and he replaced his dvd drive, and then we reloaded windows, the system was having issues, I suspect one of his sticks is going bad. Damn HP bios was running it too fast and his computer is running hot to make things worse.

we have a spare cpu to try if the memory checks out
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 irayte

irayte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:25 PM

It doesn't seem to be running too hot, I will have more time to mess with it in a few weeks. It is my wifes primary computer, she gets a little testy when I mess with it. It is stable enough to run IE, adobe, and do basic photo editing so she is happy with it for now. I got my eye on a brand new basic compaq for $399. to replace it. It does act like a thermal/power fault, I might take the heatsink off the processor and apply some arctic silver to it and see if that helps, had to do that to my laptop after a couple of years of use.

#7 irayte

irayte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

How would I go about checking and adjusting the voltage for the memory? I am slowly getting more adept with tweaking, as soon as a get a replacement for it I will dive in and see what I can do with it, in my mind it is already worthless so I can't make it worse.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

You should be able to adjust the memory timings and voltages in the bios. If you need help finding where in the bios let us know what bios the computer has.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users