Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Has Encountered A Problem.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:17 AM

Before you read this it may be of value for you to know that I am considering transferring my OS from this PC to the 4403 with the problem here in.

I have found alot of various post for this problem but they seem to be specific to the individual computer, . .

I recently installed replaced a Hard Drive and re-installed Windows XP1 from restore disc, the upgrade from sp2 service pack disc., I am sorry that Compaq did not give me a OS disk, or that I do not have an SP2 OS disc. . . but here is one of the problems I'm having.

After clicking > Don't Send MS Error Report> The Windows Explorer Closed leaving me with a desk top screen Empty of icons and without a task bar, and open program icons. This error is reoccuring, and seems to happen randomly.

Hopefully Helpful Information;

1.Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close.
7:30 PM 1/18/2008 ActualTime apx. 5:29 PM
Error signature
AppName: explorer exe AppVer. 6.0.2600.0 ModName: uxtheme.dll
ModVer. 6.0.2600.0 Offset: 00007381

Alternate Information;

1. (From Event Viewer, Error Properties)
Date 1/19/08 12:55 AM Surce Application Error
Category: None
Type:Error
Event ID: 1000 User N/A
Description:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2600.0, faulting module uxtheme.dll, version 6.0.2600.0,
fault address 0x00007381

2. The screen shading changes to a yellowish color and seems to dull the programs that are displayed.

3. >>>>>
1/16/2008 3:48 AM Application Error Faulting application sp27103.exe, version 4.0.100.1189, faulting module sp27103.exe, version 4.0.100.1189, fault address 0x0000f917.

1/16/2008 4:00 AM Application Error Faulting application carpserv.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module DSOUND.dll, version 5.1.2600.0, fault address 0x00001a8b.

1/18/2008 2:50 AM Application Error Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2600.0, faulting module uxtheme.dll, version 6.0.2600.0, fault address 0x00007381.

4. This may or may not be related, . . Problem; Once the computer goes into standby it will not come out of it or if it can be joggled into popping out the monitor screen is covered with horizantal lines, sort of multicolored. It has to be re-started to get back to windows.
5.This may or may not be related; SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2445&SUBSYS_008C0E11&REV_05\3&61AAA01&0&FD This device cannot start.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CPQ24444294201
System Manufacturer Compaq
System Model Presario 4403US
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~1395 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Compaq 686P9 v1.10, 4/17/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)"
User Name CPQ24444294201\JP
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 256.50 MB
Available Physical Memory 59.10 MB
Total Virtual Memory 880.37 MB
Available Virtual Memory 552.34 MB
Page File Space 625.95 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Refresh screen
Local Disk (non-partitioned) MAXTOR STM3160815A

(C:) Capacity - 149.05 GB
Used: 1.86 GB
Free: 147.19 GB

Display
Type: Plug and Play Monitor
Color: High Color (16 Bit)
Resolution: 800 x 600
Screen Saver: Active

Modem
Manufacturer: Unknown
Model: Conexant HSFi V90 V92 56K PCI Modem
Driver: Unknown

USB Controller
Manufacturer: Intel
Model: Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
Driver: usbuhci.sys
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Supported

USB Controller
Manufacturer: Intel
Model: Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444
Driver: usbuhci.sys
Supported

CD-ROM Drive (D:)
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Model: LITE-ON LTR-24102B
Driver: cdrom.sys
Friday, August 17, 2001
Supported

Video Card
Model: Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller
Driver: i81xnt5.sys
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Supported

Sound Card
Manufacturer: Analog Devices, Inc.
Model: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Driver: smwdm.sys
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Supported

Network Card
Model: SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211TX) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Driver: rtl8139.sys
Supported

Floppy Drive (A:)
Installed

Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 256.50 MB

Printers
Not Installed

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 19 January 2008 - 08:27 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

I would replace the uxtheme.dll. Yours could possible be coruppted. Get a fresh one here and put it in your System32 folder. If you get a message to overwrite click ok or yes.
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?uxtheme
X

#3 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:05 PM

To be on the safe side rather thatn downloading files off the web you can run the system file checker. Insert your windows installation disk and click Start -> Run: sfc /scannow it will find any invalid system files and replace them.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:15 AM

Thanks much for the help, . . I really wish I had a windows installation disk, but the only thing that this computer came with was a set of restore disk, and that was for SP1, I have been doing re-installs using first the restore disk and then using Service Pack 2 after. I asked the guy at staples the other day about the installation disk, they have them for 199.00, so as I was after some other stuff, I passed it up, but I am finding that it is practically a necessity !

But,I am hoping that the system file checker works out, I really think that might help since the way I have been loading systems, I have the feeling that things are not exactly what they should be.

Another thing I find a little unusual is that I have looked on this system which is a CP-5300US, at A/R, for W-updates and haven't found much and the last couple of times I have been to the W-update page, it scanned and reported I am up to date, thats funny considering the way things use to be like a year or so ago, it seemed that I was getting updates every day.

Right mates, Cheerio !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:05 AM

I am having small difficulties with this OS, since it is very not dependable and will close windows explorer unexpectedly, i also do not have Internet connection set up, and therefore more than likely have to U/L any fixes, including said zip files etc., so, . .

I am wondering at the possibilities concerning ;

Free Boot Disks
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Described by MS as ;
Windows XP Setup boot disks

Is it possible to load these into a troubled system with the possibility it may correct the non-working or corrupted file: uxtheme.dll ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

Have you tried pushing Ctrl+Alt+Del, clicking "New Task (run)," and typing "explorer.exe" (no quotes)?
When the message popped up, it ended the "explorer.exe" process. If it does this again after you try this then you probably have a serious problem.

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

At this time I can not be certain of the Status of this problem, . . .

As much as do not like to admit it, . . . I have found that Priorly, I upgraded to WXPSP2, unfortunately for some reasons,

the D/L did not take, and somehow did not notice that there was no installation, I have found that this oversight, since I have undertaken the attempts at working on two computers, relatively at the same time, I did not intend for this to wind up being as complex as it has become, however it has been a good lesson in, . . not biting off more than you can chew,

In any case at the time I may have deluded to other plans regarding validating a good installation, possibly Transferring OS's from one computer to the other and an this oversight occurred.

Therefore in the vast efforts to accomplish some beneficial end to these dilemmas, and in confusion I am making attempts to step back, and rethink my position and situation. Regroup Fade Back and Punt.

I have now successfully re-installed SP2 into the system, the W.Ex. problem has not appeared lately, . .

Presently on this 4403, I am dealing with the other issues, however, I appreciate your advice and will definitely

check it out, thanks much.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users