Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quickbooks Won't Open.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roninknife

roninknife

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:59 AM

I have been having some trouble with my computer lately. I posted another topic "System Resources 100%" explaining that my cpu usage jumps up to 100% and freezes. In the time that i have waited for a reply i bought a new CPU fan (my old one was making noise, thought it may be causing the usage problem), and i put in another gig of ram. My computer ran fine the first night but the next day I kept getting a number of random software errors. One with firefox, one with style xp, one with newsleecher, windows explorer will randomly shut down, so will Media Center and now I can't open my Quickbooks!. I click on the icon, the banner pops up saying that it is starting quickbooks than it disappears. My wife thinks that it is the new ram, so i took it out, rebooted and still no QB. I put the ram back in, than i tried to repair QB but it also suffered an error and wouldn't allow me to complete the fix. I don't know what to do.

This is a big problem. I have my taxes that i have to get in order before the end of the month and i need this damn program to work. I am trying you guys first because you have helped me with so many of my computer problems in the past. On Monday I will call Intuit tech support to double up on the issue but I sure hope someone can pull a big fat fuzzy chain smokin' rabbit out of hat.

I will be checking this thread throughout the night so i will reply to any questions or directions you have.

Thanks.

Ronin Knife.

PS oh yeah and also my computer randomly reboots itself:)

Edited by roninknife, 19 January 2008 - 01:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:28 AM

Considering the multiplicity of troubles you're experiencing, hard to say if someone will be able to pull the rabbit from the hat! We can only hope. If you got an error trying to repair Quickbooks, it's possible that has actually damaged the Quickbooks installation. Doing a supposed "repair" while there is another problem in existence (especially if the fault turns out to be hardware, like faulty memory) can sometimes just make things worse.

Also, Intuit may be unable to offer you help if your computer has problems not caused by Quickbooks itself.

To ease the tax deadline, is there any chance you may be able to beg access to another computer running a compatible version of Quickbooks, and transfer a copy of your .QBW file temporarily onto that system to do the tax?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

In addition to what quietman7 suggested in your other thread, when it reboots you might want to go to the Event viewer and look for anything suspicious.
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Anytime you get an error, write down the exact error message. Include everything
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 roninknife

roninknife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

If theses mproblems were caused by the new stick of ram i added, would it be typical that the problems would go away if i removed the ram or is it more likely that after removing the ram what ever damage it caused would still be in effect?

I am asking this because i pulled the ram out and i'm still having the same problems and it would be nice to know whether or not i could exclude the ram as being the problem.
Also, if the Ram did cause these software problems should i try to make the repairs leaving the new ram in?

Another thing, when i first installed the Ram my boot prompt mention something about recognizing that there was new hardware and making a backup setting to run my computer using the old ram settings. Does this sound familiar at all, and if it does, how do i access my computers pre-ram settings.

RK

Edited by roninknife, 19 January 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:05 AM

If faulty RAM causes operational errors like blue screens, Windows shutting down applications etc, probably when the memory is removed, the system will resume operating normally. But if memory errors corrupted important files like the registry, problems could remain. Most other system files like .DLLs are read, not written to, but a process that does make modifications to an installation, such as a repair, could be corrupted. If there's any question about the new memory, put it aside until the system is restored to proper operation.

Symptoms like 100% CPU usage indicate other problems and should be dealt with separately.

You can check for faulty memory independent of other system problems by running memory diagnostics from a boot disk, using testing programs like Goldmem.

The BIOS in some recent systems can save alternative setting profiles so you can move readily between different configurations eg an overclocked state, and a conservative setup. It sounds like maybe your system saved a profile for your previous configuration. Consult your system/motherboard manual to find out if your system has this capability and how it operates.

Edited by Platypus, 21 January 2008 - 05:11 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users