Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Rom

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KMF

KMF

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

My computer is a 7 yr old Gateway, Pentium 4. I upgraded the OS to Windows XP Pro 5 yrs ago and the Hitachi DVD ROM GD-8000 hasn't worked since. I've had some things fixed lately (thanks to you guys!!! :thumbsup: ) and suddenly the bloody thing is reading the DVDs again!? Anyway, it's saying I don't have a DVD Decoder. My guess is, the DVD decoder information is on the Gateway Discs that came with the computer that I can no longer use (because they caused the BLACK screen of death the last time I put them in trying fix the upgrade to the bleeping XP!!! :-o)

Anyway, I'm more excited than you can possibly know to discover the drive works again!!! :flowers:

Is there any way I can get the decoder for the DVD drive so I can actually use it again!!!!

Thanks.....

KMF

Edited by KMF, 18 January 2008 - 09:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

Does the error message say decoder or codec? What viewer are you using and what version, Windows Media Player? Check for updates. Is Windows fully updated along with service packs?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 18 January 2008 - 10:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

vlc plays dvd's without an encoder???????? installed?????

someone reported a trial of one software that left the decoder installed after the trial expired

your mileage may vary

Edited by DaChew, 19 January 2008 - 12:08 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

The DVD I purchased came with DVD player software: Intersomethingorother (I had to uninstall it when I THOUGHT I found the decoder software on Gateway) Anyway, after installing it, an message came up in the controller saying I had no DVD Decoder and needed to get one. It then directed me to several sites that sell it. I did go on to Microsoft.com and downloaded the newest version of Media Player. It reads the DVD and lists the contents, but says it can't play DVDs on my computer and I should try to lower the colour/resolution on control panel (I tried it...it didn't work) I went online and they explain that Media Player DOES NOT come with a decoder; you have to install one. They have a DVD decoder...you have to pay for it. I guess I don't mind paying for a decoder if I have no other way to retrieve the original software that came with the computer. But I'd like to try that first.

I have the restoration disc from Gateway that says it contains the backup of applications. I'm petrified to use it after what happened last time I put one of these restore discs in!!!!

Thanks...

KMF

Edited by KMF, 19 January 2008 - 10:49 AM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

try this free program

Your computer isn't worth spending any money on
Chewy

#7 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:58 AM

That's odd...one of the BC Team people recently helped me clean it up. I mentioned I should probably just get a new one and she said the computer was just fine and only needed to have some memory added.

I guess if it's worthless, I might as well just forget it.....

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

Any computer is useful, but the older they get they won't be able to use the newer items that everyone seems to want. I see it's only a DVD player. I'd personally buy a new DVD burner It will read play, and copy CD and DVD and they're $35 to $50 Just keep in mind you're not going to have blazing high speed, but if all you're doing is watching movies it should be sufficient
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

I'll get a new DVD burner. Which is what I had originally planned to do anyway until I discovered it working. Thanks.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

I would increase memory if possible
Crucial.com
ark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

My computer is a 7 yr old Gateway

don't spend much

if a new one is 400$ and every 2 years you see a 50% depreciation, and that's a good estimate, why spend much on something that's worth less than 100$
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users