Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding A Network Printer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hi all,
I have a network setup consisting of a desktop running XP via ethernet cable to a Netgear router and a laptop running Vista connected via wireless through router. Computers "talk" to each other perfectly.
I have an Epson printer (Stylus CX3100) plugged into desktop via usb. Printer runs perfectly from desktop. Can't get printer to work from laptop wirelessly. I have manually connected printer to laptop and updated drivers for Vista and it prints while connected by cable.

Now the questions.
1. I have enabled sharing on the printer but it doesn't show on desktop in my network places. Should it? If so how do I go about getting it there?
2. I have installed the printer on laptop. Shows on network but can't get it to print anything. When I hit print from laptop the print job sets up then just disappears (not in printer queue). Why? How to fix? I
3. When I go to add printer to network on the laptop it knows the printer is connected to desktop but I get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access denied". It doesn't tell me why it's denied. How to fix?
4. Should I be able to print a document that's on the laptop on the printer connected to desktop? This is what I am trying to acheive.

Thanks for reading and all help and advice appreciated. Sorry it's a bit long.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

1. Yes it should. Try the solution below...
2. This may be related to the general problem that is access denied.
3. On the vista laptop try this:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty
Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local.

4. Yes.

Edited by Tomo2, 19 January 2008 - 12:17 AM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:31 AM

Tomo2, Thank you from whats left of my hair. I have been tearing it out for weeks trying to get this to work and your instructions worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Bleeping Computer users to the rescue once again.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users