Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Harddrive Not Being Recognized By Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shortymac

shortymac

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

I bought a sata harddrive from a friend and put it in an external case for my laptop. In media editon the only way to "import" the hardrive using disk manager would be to reformat it however i had information on the hdd i couldn't lose. So i transfered the information unto my brothers hdd (which is xp).

then when I went to import it via media on my laptop it wouldn't recognize it, even reboot (cold and warm) didn't work. My brother's computer also doesn't recognize it. There's no "foreign disk" present and i keep refreshing and it still doesn't recognize the hdd.

whats going on here, i didn't reformat it to the xp machine, just copied and pasted info from it
Despite many reverses, freedom has won many battles. Many died in those battles in the conviction that to die in the struggle against oppression was better than to live without freedom. Such a death is the utmost assertion of their individuality. ~ Erich Fromm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

Was the drive originally formatted...before you began using it?

When you say the drive was not recognized...are you saying that Disk Management did not see the drive at all?

There are reasons why a working drive might not be viewed in My Computer...Disk Management is a better standard to use.

Louis

#3 shortymac

shortymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Was the drive originally formatted...before you began using it?

When you say the drive was not recognized...are you saying that Disk Management did not see the drive at all?

There are reasons why a working drive might not be viewed in My Computer...Disk Management is a better standard to use.

Louis

yes i am using disk manager it doesn't see the drive at all, its like it doesn't exist.

and it wasn't formatted beforehand because my friend put some files and information that i wanted on it as a part of the deal, whish is what i copied and pasted unto my bro's comp (which is having the same problem)
Despite many reverses, freedom has won many battles. Many died in those battles in the conviction that to die in the struggle against oppression was better than to live without freedom. Such a death is the utmost assertion of their individuality. ~ Erich Fromm

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

Bad news...

In order for Windows to see...and use...any drive (hard drive), it must be formatted. Formatting allows Windows to recognize that it has additional storage capability in the form of a drive.

Putting files on a drive that is unformatted tends to result in inability to retrieve those files. It's as if someone put invisible files on a hard drive and asked Windows to read the files. It cannot do such.

That should explain why Windows in both computers...cannot read the files.

The hard drive must be formatted, which can be accomplished by any number of methods. Since you say it cannot be seen in Disk Management...and it cannot be seen in My Computer...because it's not formatted, I would try to use an XP CD to format the drive (NTFS file system) and then use it as you would use any drive.

If I'm wrong in interpreting/understanding anything, now is the time to speak :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 shortymac

shortymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

Bad news...

In order for Windows to see...and use...any drive (hard drive), it must be formatted. Formatting allows Windows to recognize that it has additional storage capability in the form of a drive.

Putting files on a drive that is unformatted tends to result in inability to retrieve those files. It's as if someone put invisible files on a hard drive and asked Windows to read the files. It cannot do such.

That should explain why Windows in both computers...cannot read the files.

The hard drive must be formatted, which can be accomplished by any number of methods. Since you say it cannot be seen in Disk Management...and it cannot be seen in My Computer...because it's not formatted, I would try to use an XP CD to format the drive (NTFS file system) and then use it as you would use any drive.

If I'm wrong in interpreting/understanding anything, now is the time to speak :thumbsup:.

Louis

the files i'm not worried about, they transfered fine unto my bros PC

but after i did that and shut it off it isn't recognized by either, i cannot see it at all

how would i reformat it via the windows XP cd? if the computer doesn't recognize it at all?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

OK.

One other scenario I didn't mention where Windows does not see a hard drive in Disk Management...is when the drive is dead or dying.

No point in trying to format a dead drive, either, you need to determine if the drive is without problems.

Do either of these systems have SATA connectors?

I would run a disk diagnostic on the drive, after connecting it directly to one of my desktops (I have SATA connectors and a SATA controller, so I can attach the drive directly to either of my systems and run the diagnostic).

You have detached the drive from the USB port...and then tried to reconnect/redetect it on each system, right? And you are using Disk Management to check for the drive?

Almost forgot: The reason I would try using the XP CD to detect/format the drive...is that it's more accurate than using My Computer or the BIOS to detect drives. But I've never tried to detect a USB-connected drive from the XP CD.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2008 - 02:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users