Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dcom Errors In Event Viewer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

I was using Winamp 5.5 help (internet based) last night and kept getting interrupted by debugger. I opened administrative tools/services, and disabled MDM, and now I'm getting stacks of DCOM errors. Is it okay to just disable DCOM? It involves a registry edit and a couple of other steps, but I thought I should ask our members about it first.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

There used to be a download you could run and it would do it for you. I know I saved it to floppy. I'm searching through my bookmarks for the link. That could take a while
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

Hmmm...very good question, I think.

My experience has always been to just ignore DCOM errors reflected in Event Viewer, since they did not seem to have any impact on my ability to connect or interface with the Internet or my home network.

I never really thought about disabling it until you posted.

Based on what I read at http://www.updatexp.com/dcom-windows-xp.html, disabling it seems like a good idea.

But I too will wait for more knowledgeable inputs before I do so.

Louis

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Mine has been disabled for a few years and I haven't seen any problems that I'm aware of. Searching further, Some sites (Eldergeek included) say leave it alone. Others say go for it. Here's BV's opinion:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DCOM
Disclaimer: Some of his tweaks I wouldn't recommend. As always, BACK UP
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 18 January 2008 - 04:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

Ah, so I've posed a real curiosity. Do I get my BC merit badge now?

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

There used to be a download you could run and it would do it for you. I know I saved it to floppy. I'm searching through my bookmarks for the link. That could take a while
Mark

Could this be the site Mark?
Scroll down to DCOMbobulator-
http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

Ah, so I've posed a real curiosity. Do I get my BC merit badge now?

The only badges they pass out is in the Malware removal forums to the HJT helpers. :thumbsup:

Edited by CTH_Tom, 18 January 2008 - 05:10 PM.

X

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Thanks CTH TOM, I knew I wasn't dreaming of things
We don't get merit badges, but we do get a ticket for a free beer once in a while :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

Beer is even better. Thanks for the links, I'll take a look this evening and let y'all know if I find it.

#9 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

I tried disabling DCOM in services, and when I rebooted, my NIS '08 didn't load. Strange, but I restarted the service and the firewall loaded on the next reboot.
I'm tempted to try that discombobulator program, http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm, from Tom's link. I ran across it a couple of times in the XP General group. I plan to read a little more first though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users