Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Has Anyone Had Experience With Counter-offer From Your Employer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

That's what I have right now. I don't think it will be healthy to accept counter-offer, because your employer will still remember you having had intent to leave.

What is your opinion or experince?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

Counter offers are merely a business proposition. It is for payment of services. You perform work, they pay you. You say how much you want, they counter offer, purely business. The company is acquiring your services for a price. Both parties fully know that someone else will perform those services, for a price. Are you willing to accept the offer, if not then move on. Your comment of having intent to leave is not really part of the issue. Everyone has an intent to leave if a better offer comes along. That is human nature.

On another issue, your consistent job related inquires may be better suited on an IT employment related forum. This forum is more focused on the end user of computer related issues. So you may not get a full representation of thoughts and ideas to your work related questions. Which may be unfair to base employment decisions upon.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

While I agree with all that Animal has said, I do think that there's also a bit of the "human" factor involved in this business proposition. It's not that the employer will remember your intent to leave, but rather, that your employer values your services enough to offer an increase in salary or benefits to keep you on the job. The employer would rather have you (probably because of your current knowledge and experience with the company) than hire someone else at lower pay who has to be trained. That's definitely something to be considered.

Depending on your job and the kind of employer you have, you might want to consider asking for a written contract if you decide to stay. I hope you also received the counter-offer in writing.

ETA: I also agree that you'll probably get better feedback in an IT-employment-related forum.

Edited by Dialer, 18 January 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

On another issue, your consistent job related inquires may be better suited on an IT employment related forum. This forum is more focused on the end user of computer related issues. So you may not get a full representation of thoughts and ideas to your work related questions. Which may be unfair to base employment decisions upon.

Ok, your admonition is well taken. However, is this not "General Chat" session of the forum. Does it not say "Are you bored at work or sitting around doing nothing? Then talk to others about whatever you want. "? That is why I posted employment issues here in "General Chat" session and avoided other sections of the forum.

I posted computer related issues in other sections of the forum.

No need to respond my response. I will find another forum if I wish, and I will ceasing posting "consistent job related inquires" as you labeled. I think you are also at liberty to remove posting you don't want or even revoking accounts of those users who don't agree with you. Not that I am asking you to do so to me, but I can't stop you from doing that. Not that it matters.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

Without a lot of details, it is difficult at best to even frame any sort of useful reply. As an IT administrator, and when faced with a subordinate sitting at the other side of the table who was about to leave, it seemed important to understand the reason for his leaving. Once I fully understood why he wanted to leave, and if the person was someone I wanted to retain, I would certainly make an effort to remove (as much as possible) some or all the reasons for him quitting.
Salary negotiations often involve offers and counter-offers, rather like new car salesmen always have to fight with their boss to get him to accept your deal on a new car. It is very much a game. What is important is that both sides really want the negotiations and are open with one another in a business-like and friendly way.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

Ok, your admonition is well taken. However, is this not "General Chat" session of the forum. Does it not say "Are you bored at work or sitting around doing nothing? Then talk to others about whatever you want. "? That is why I posted employment issues here in "General Chat" session and avoided other sections of the forum.

I posted computer related issues in other sections of the forum.

No need to respond my response. I will find another forum if I wish, and I will ceasing posting "consistent job related inquires" as you labeled. I think you are also at liberty to remove posting you don't want or even revoking accounts of those users who don't agree with you. Not that I am asking you to do so to me, but I can't stop you from doing that. Not that it matters.

I apologize if what you thought what I said was an admonition. It was in no way intended as an admonition. I was only trying to help you understand that we do not have the focus here that would give your career related questions enough exposure to give you a broader base of replies on which to draw from. I have noticed that most of your job related inquires have very few responses. I felt it was not fair or a good idea to base such important career based decisions on such little information. I was only suggesting a forum type that has the focus and member base to better guide you with your careerer based questions, with more relevant information.

I in no way intended to drive you away or infer that you not post your questions.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users