Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Running In The Background?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

Upon startup and for about an hour to maybe 90 minutes more, I seem to have a program or something running in the background. I can hear the "clicking" sounds even though I am not doing anything. Then, whatever it is has finished doing whatever it does, I heard an a sound very similar to the sound I hear when my computer completes its normal shutdown---after Windows shuts down and the screen goes dark.

I don't think it is a scan because the scan for my McAfee Anti-Virus and my Webroot SpySweeper are both activated by me, manually. I have checked my Start-Up menu and I don't see anything suspicious.

I do get automatic updates from McAfee and Webroot but I am aware of these at the time they are occurring. I am also set for automatic Windows updates---is there someway I could tell if these were source of the problem? The only way I can tell if it was a Windows update is at the time I shutdown I see the Windows Shield by "turn off" my computer.

Further, I do routine scans for virus and spyware every 5 days or so.

Any suggestions?

Running Windows XP Home Edition, service pack 2, on my Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop. Currently using a wireless network but same problem occurs on my home DSL via Verizon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

Gene, when you hear these background sounds and clicks, etc., have you thought to do a ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager so you can check the processes running and see what is taking up your cpu cycles. This might shed some light on what is running that you may not be aware of or that is causing the sounds and the use of your cpu...Try that and see what it might offer up as far as what is running when you hear the sounds you speak of...Best to you...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

I have a scenario similar to what I think you describe...anytime AVG Free does a scan or Windows Defender does a scan.

Each runs in the background...I just click Control-Alt-Delete to verify that it is one or the other.

Louis

#4 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. After staring at my Task Manager for oh too long, appears the program in question is: WUAUCLT.EXE.. Per some research, I discovered (what you all already knew) this is a Windows update thing. So I guess everything on my laptop is running as it should, even though it gets bogged down more than I would like.
I do regular virus, spyware scans. Also use the the Uniblue Registry clean-up tool. Soooo much to learn/know ! Thanks again.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

I have done my best to keep my computer just running the core essential services but from time to time I notice it gets very active when nothing else is going on, none of my antimalware apps are running, drive indexing is turned off

windows seems to be optimizng files or something for a minute or so

my old raptor boot drive is kind of noisy so it's hard to miss
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users