Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Wireless Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phooster

phooster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

My HP laptop DV 6000 recently was unable to connect to the internet, turns out that this particular series of laptops has HUGE problems with the wifi just all of a sudden stops working. HP has been getting tons of complaints about it. I called them, told them exactly what was wrong, and said the computer was otherwise working perfectly. They said, okay send it in and we will fix it (replace motherboard I think) Anyways, I get the following e-mail a week later....

"I am writing to update you on your notebook. The techs have found the following:
Liquid on top assembly, motherboard, base assembly,
keyboard, LCD bezel, and keyboard cover

The above mentioned problem isn’t covered under the normal manufacturer’s warranty. The replacement/repair cost for these parts is $759.42. We do have an ADP plan at the cost of about $290.00 that will cover the cost of this repair and also covers the computer for 2 years from your purchase date against accidents such as a cracked or bruised LCD, Liquid spills, motherboard damage or dropping the notebook. These things are outside of the manufacturer’s warranty which only covers malfunctions of the notebook; in addition, it will also cover you when the normal manufacturers warranty expires. Please respond to this email or call the number below to let us know what you would like to have done within 24 hours to avoid having the unit returned due to no response. We will try contacting you once more tomorrow by phone."

Could not believe it! So there's a spill that isn't harming the computer otherwise, and they're going to blame their defective product on spilt milk in an otherwise perfectly functioning computer! I'm so pissed, but don't know what to do. Should I just pay the $300 and get it over with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

LOL...I don't know about you but liquid on the motherboard...sure sounds like nothing covered by a routine warranty to me. Those are electronic components on that motherboard and they don't function too well when wet.

I don't own a laptop, I prefer desktops because I can repair them myself when things go wrong.

If you intend to keep this laptop and use it...and possibly use the warranty before it expires...I suggest getting the wallet out.

If you think it's just bogus BS and don't want the laptop fixed...know someone else who will repair it and not tell you the same things...or whatever...ignore the request by HP.

Just my opinion...

I really wish everyone just bought desktops and made life simpler on themselves. A desktop with that problem could be fixed for probably less than $100 (projected cost of a new motherboard).

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

I had to respond to this post just because it fits in so nicely with my signature. :thumbsup:
http://www.protectcovers.com/
Think about it, are you going to pour a glass of milk down your TV set or put you cell phone in a glass of water?
Electronics and moisture do not get along
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users