Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Wireless Card, Now Monitor Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigDinOC

bigDinOC

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

So I have (had) had a dual display set up with my computer. My Dell LCD 17 inch analog monitor was plugged into the integrated mobo slot, then I had a digital LCD 19 inch widescreen Hanns G plugged into a seperate video card in my pci-e-16.

Last night I installed a wireless card into my open PCI bay because I'm moving into a new place with wireless. After I plugged everything in and fired it up, the analog monitor wouldn't display, but the digital worked fine. I think the analog monitor is getting some type of signal, because when I unplugged it from the mobo, the rotating screen comes on that shows the monitor features, then when I plug it into the mobo it goes away...for some reason it's just staying in standby mode and not displaying anything....black screen. I tried to troubleshoot a little bit but the computer for the most part doesn't even recognize that anything is plugged in...I took out the wireless card and set everything up the way it was when everything worked fine, but still no luck. Only the digital display works now.

I also attempted to plug the analog monitor into the seperate video card (it has an analog port also)....still nothing. I don't understand how installing a wireless card could have messed all of this up all of a sudden (the wireless works flawlessly BTW). I'm semi-knowledgeable about computers, it's not a brand name system, I had it built custom and been adding things on here and there.

The Dell monitor is from a previous computer and has worked fine for the past year with my dual display. Could this be a power issue, to much stuff plugged into the mobo? Or maybe a driver problem? I don't think it's a driver because it stopped working before I even installed any software, just the wireless card. I also used the Win XP restore point thing and restored the settings to the previous day, when everything worked. Still no luck...

Any thoughts? It kinda sucks because I'm back down to one monitor and I already miss the dual displays...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

I know nothing of wireless.

But...I think I'd take a look in Event Viewer for some error that would give me clues.

Did you take a look in Device Manager to see if there are any indications of problems there?

I'd also run msinfo32 (Start/Run...type msinfo32...and take a look at the sublistings under Hardware Resources.

Being a thorough kind of fellow, I'd also take a look in the BIOS. If there is an onboard NIC which is not being used, I would disable it.

If there is a NIC PCI card that is not now being used, I would remove it.

In short, I would do everything I could to ensure that there are no conflicts between devices and I would follow up all errors indicating possible connection with my loss of that monitor.

Then again...did you just try setting up the dual monitors all over again, from scratch?

Have you tried the monitor on another known good working system?

And finally...remember than anything electrical/electronic can short out unexpectedly. Which is why I would verify that it actually works.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

To add to Louis's post, check the monitor plug for bent pins
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 bigDinOC

bigDinOC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

I know nothing of wireless.

But...I think I'd take a look in Event Viewer for some error that would give me clues.

Did you take a look in Device Manager to see if there are any indications of problems there?

I'd also run msinfo32 (Start/Run...type msinfo32...and take a look at the sublistings under Hardware Resources.

Being a thorough kind of fellow, I'd also take a look in the BIOS. If there is an onboard NIC which is not being used, I would disable it.

If there is a NIC PCI card that is not now being used, I would remove it.

In short, I would do everything I could to ensure that there are no conflicts between devices and I would follow up all errors indicating possible connection with my loss of that monitor.

Then again...did you just try setting up the dual monitors all over again, from scratch?

Have you tried the monitor on another known good working system?

And finally...remember than anything electrical/electronic can short out unexpectedly. Which is why I would verify that it actually works.

Louis

Ok I got most of it, but some of these things are foreign to me.

1. Where do I find the event viewer?
2. Neither the analog monitor or integrated video show up in the device manager, but the other monitor/video card is there
3. The hardware resources screen is chinese to me. What should I look for?
4. What is NIC? I know how to get to the BIOS however...
5. My two pci slots are occupied, one by a sound card, the other the wireless card.

I will try the monitor on my roommates computer. Seems weird that it would stop working just like that. It took me 5 minutes to put the card in and patch everything up and in that amount of time the monitor calls it quits. What about resetting the BIOS? I moved the jumper switch on the board once to clear some problems up and that worked magically, I'm not sure if it would apply in this case though...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

OK, sorry for the barrage but it's necessary :huh:.

1. What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

2. Hardware Resources: There should be nothing in Forced Hardware. Check Conflicts/Sharing for possible conflicts, sharing is normally OK. Double-check IRQ data against Shared data, s/b same. Just making sure that there are no obvious problems.

3. NIC is Network Interface Card or LAN or ethernet. It's the port where the ethernet cable plugs in if one does not have wireless. Many motherboards today come with an onboard NIC, which is reflected in the BIOS/CMOS settings. If you don't use this, no point allocating system resources to it; disable it in the BIOS. If you disable anything in the BIOS, be sure to save your changes by hitting the proper key...before you exit and the system reboots.

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

There's no reason to reset the BIOS :thumbsup:. That's kind of an emergency thing to do :huh:. We don't need to do that.

You know, I think I would remove the drivers of that wireless card (by using Device Manager) and then physically remove that card from my system and see if I could get back to things working as before. Both the physical removal and the removal of the drivers would have to be done.

And don't forget about the check for bent pins on the monitor connection B).

Louis

#6 bigDinOC

bigDinOC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

Ok, so took the monitor off, connected to roommates computer, works great

I reconnected to my computer, still only got the connection from the PCI-E card, not the onboard video

Restarted, went into BIOS>Advanced>Display, and it asked about primary display or something. It was on "Auto". I switched it to the Intel Chipset, saved the changes, BAM. Got the monitor connected to the onboard to come on. But guess what? Now the one connected to the PCI-E card won't come on.

Went back into BIOS, switched over the the PCI-E card and got that monitor back, but lost the onboard video.

It seems that the computer is not letting me run both, only one or the other and I must toggle in the BIOS. Weird. Why would it do that all of a sudden?

So, any thoughts? There's nothing in the forced hardware or conflicts. When I go to the Display properties in the Control Panel it still doesn't even show that I have a second monitor connected, and that is after I tested it either way by switching in the BIOS.

I took out the wireless card and drivers. So that's done.

When I tried to reinstall the drivers from the video card I purchased and I have the analog monitor running, it says that the drivers are not compatible with my system or display or something. When I tried to reinstall my drivers and had the digital monitor running, it says the drivers are already installed.

So basically, I can have one or the other, I figured out that part now, but not both. I'm lost and confused...

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

What brand and model of video card?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 bigDinOC

bigDinOC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

What brand and model of video card?
Mark

Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS made by PNY

I went to their webiste and followed the step by step instructions on how to set up dual monitors, but nothing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users