Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which word to use

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 angiesetc

angiesetc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:27 PM

My company just purchased a new computer that only has Works on it and I need Word. What version should I purchase and where can I find it the cheapest and most reliable. In a terrible hurry!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:52 PM

For functionality, Word 2000 is almost as good as the later versions, unless you do a lot of co-operative document creation. My own suggestion would be to use OpenOffice.Org which is a full-featured open-source office suite generally compatible with Office files, and save your company or yourself the money.
Additional information and download may be found here: http://www.openoffice.org/
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:41 PM

i will give you my optinion...

Word 2000 is pretty much the cheapest if you can get it. there is not much difference really between 2000, 2002 (XP) or even 2003. I personally would go for 2002 (XP) as it will be supported longer than 2000 and will be cheaper than 2003. 2002 (XP) is very similar to the current version 2003 with most of it. I personally don't like OpenOffice as i am more familiar to M$ money hungry company version of office. but the 2002 (XP) you should be able to grab under $100 for Word by itself. probably get a whole suit for $100. Good Luck with what you choose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users