Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows Xp Updates, Critical And Other

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

Running XP Home Edition on IBM Thinkpad Model T42. MS website tells me I should intall 92 (?) "critical" updates and I have tried so many-- way too many -- times to do so. Usually they download OK but fail to install. The "install history" HELP is no help, it just says "try re-intalling." MS "Help" hasn't helped. Opened a trouble ticket with MS recently which led to a frustrating series of emails with an MS staffer; lots of frustration but no help. Have tried installing with "automatic updates" both enabled and un-enabled.
I am running Panda 2008 antivirus and firewall . . . part of the problem?
Thanks for any help or empathy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

OK.

Sooooo...tell me just what version of XP is on that computer. Is SP1 or SP2 reflected when you click Start/right-click My Computer and select Properties?

Do you have an XP CD?

Have you checked Event Viewer for clues?

How long have you had this problem?

No one ever reinstalled XP?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html You are only interested in errors noted, double-click on any line item to see details.

Louis

#3 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:24 AM

SP2. Yes, I have the CD. I reinstalled XP 8 weeks ago following the instructions on BC. Have not yet looked at Event Viewer but will do so today; thanks for suggestion. Have had this problem . . . . maybe since I . . . I can't remember. Months at least.

#4 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:40 AM

I opened EventViewer and the contents are attached. Not sure what it means . . .

Attached Files

Edited by DebMarieGreene, 19 January 2008 - 02:45 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:43 AM

Have you tried to manually install the updates?

http://answers.vt.edu/ask4help/desktop/vtkb1857.htm

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:11 AM

SP2. Yes, I have the CD. I reinstalled XP 8 weeks ago following the instructions on BC. Have not yet looked at Event Viewer but will do so today; thanks for suggestion. Have had this problem . . . . maybe since I . . . I can't remember. Months at least.

If you mean you did a repair of XP rather than a reinstall, maybe this is the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144
You experience this problem if the following conditions are BOTH true:
You try to update a computer that is running Windows XP.
You have repaired the Windows XP installation by using the Windows XP CD.

When an XP repair CD is used, it replaces all system files (including Windows Update) on your machine with older versions of those files and restores the registry. However, the latest version of Windows Update includes wups2.dll that was not originally present in Windows XP. Therefore, after the repair install of the OS, wups2.dll remains on the system but its registry entries are missing. This mismatch causes updates to fail installation.

Edited by mommabear, 19 January 2008 - 07:12 AM.

#7 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:57 AM

MommaBear, I navigated to the MS website you suggested and it asks me to choose which download I want: either x64, x86 or 'itanium-based." How do I know which download to select?? Many thanks!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

Most likely you want the x86 version (the x64 is for 64 bit versions of XP, and the Itanium is for special processors that work a bit differently from the norm).

To figger it out for sure, go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
If it doesn't say 64 bit or Itanium on the page that pops up (it's the General tab) - then you'll need the x86 version.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

:thumbsup: It worked -- thank you so much! I followed your suggestions to the "T" and the updates did indeed install. Some of them caused other problems (sigh) but I'll work on those over time. Many many thanks again, you guys are great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users