Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Manually Restore The Winxp Registry?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Damaru

Damaru

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hello,

I've been thinking about making some changes to my registry and I would like to know how to restore the registry manually should I happen to mess things up...

So far I've learned that creating a system restore point backs up the registry, but I haven't been able to find good instructions on MANUALLY restoring the registry (i.e., without using Microsoft Guided Help) - is it as simple as restoring the system to a System Restore point that was created prior to making the registry modifications you want to erase?

Thanks,

Damaru

EDIT: I just found and read through the tutorial on using the Backup utility to back up and restore the registry located here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/

I would still be interested in knowing if there is a way to restore the registry manually from a backup created using the System Restore utility... This is not an urgent question by any means, however - please treat it accordingly. :thumbsup:

Thank you

Edited by Damaru, 19 January 2008 - 06:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Microsoft guidance: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

Most registry restoration depends upon being able to boot into Windows - but if you can't boot into Windows your options are limited. At work we use a PE boot disk and paste the restoration data into the proper location (usually C:\WINDOWS\System32\config) in order to accomplish this. This works quite often but is by no means a 100% solution.

A repair install of Windows will also rebuild the registry - but it depends on how badly hosed the non-Microsoft portions are as to what results you'll see.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:17 AM

System restore will should undo any registry changes made since the restore point was created.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for the excellent links and tips, everyone! :thumbsup:

Reading about this subject over the past couple of days has been like learning CPR...it's clearly the kind of knowledge that everyone should have, but that you nevertheless hope is academic.

Anyone consulting this thread for advice on restoring the Windows XP registry in the future may also find the following Knowledge Base article helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

Cheers

Edited by Damaru, 19 January 2008 - 10:44 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

Great link Damaru! Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 mac_the_fork

mac_the_fork

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:11 PM

Having read the excellent guide to backing up one's registry, (as mentioned above) i set out to do so right away. Not finding it in Accessories i found it on the Windows Disk along with a README.txt file, part of which is reproduced below:

NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes

Backup/Restore

ASR

1. ASR is not supported on home edition.

IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality will appear to work fine during
the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home edition, there is no way to initiate
the ASR restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this session, install Windows XP manually
and then restore from the ASR media.

I am not sure what ASR means, but I think this readme is saying the registry backup feature will not work with the Home Edition of XP?

Can anyone advise me whether it is OK for me to proceed to backup the registry using this NTBACKUP.MSI file with my humble Home edition?

(I will NOT use 'System Restore' ever again if i can help it: on my first attempt it made MULTIPLE copies of almost all my existing files and folders [naming the new copies 'Folder1' and the files inside 'File1' etc] -but not even in a consistent way: some files were doubled others were not. But it did almost double the used disk space in one fell swoop!)

So i would like to simply back up the registry if i can.
Maybe i should just ignore Windows NTBACKUP.MSI and download a Sourceforge utility?

Regards
WindowsXP (home) vers.2002 SP2
AMD athlon 64 processor
3000+
2.00GHz
512 RAM

#8 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

erunt, works really well. Joe

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

ASR = Automated System Recovery

I don't think it'll work on XPHome - use eRunt, it's free from here: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users