Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wmp, Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rb56

rb56

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:16 AM

i am running xp and last week i opened a conway twitty song that was appearantly infected. i was using defender pro 5 in 1 av and it detected a virus and deleted the file. after that windows media player won't open, no message, nothing. it just doesn't open. i went to system restore and all it is now is a blank page, nothing. i also found that start/search only displays a window with the puppy only in it. i have some screen shots i can post of what it looks like. after this, the defender pro won't open. i bought mcafee plus and it won't install. all i get is a blank window. i dl'ed kaspersky av free ver. online and it found three viruses and deleted them. i also have used hijackthis, microsoft malicious software removal tool, and adaware. i use mozilla firefox but sometimes IE will open to a random site, always different. any help? please!Attached File  ScreenHunter_01_Jan._18_08.21.gif   11.34KB   12 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by rb56, 18 January 2008 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

Hi.

If you had system restore running...when you attempted to remove the malware item...it may still be in SR or on your system.

It's best to stop SR when attempting to remove known malware items.

I suggest doing a scan of your system today, making sure that it's clean. I think I'd stop SR while I do the scan and remove whatever is found.

I think that's the initial, most important priority.

Louis

#3 rb56

rb56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hi.

If you had system restore running...when you attempted to remove the malware item...it may still be in SR or on your system.

It's best to stop SR when attempting to remove known malware items.

I suggest doing a scan of your system today, making sure that it's clean. I think I'd stop SR while I do the scan and remove whatever is found.

I think that's the initial, most important priority.

Louis

thanks louis, but sr wasn't running when the viruses were found and removed. unless you mean did i turn sr off? no i didn't disable sr. this all started at the first of the week. i have since...yesterday ran kerspinsky av and numerous spyware programs and it all comes back clean now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

OK, I think it's time to attempt a repair install of XP...assuming that you have an XP CD.

How Do I Repair My Windows XP Installation - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ndows_xp_in.htm

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users