Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mistakenly Deleted Optical Mouse From Start Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wish2learn

wish2learn

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:28 AM

Hello BC friends,

I have a new problem and hope you help me fix it?

While attempting to rid myself of an annoying pop up message from the device manager (about a mouse installation that could not/did not install and now reminds of this 3 month old fact on a daily basis)
I have tried many ways (some suggested here) but alas to no avail, and then I tired to zap it via CCleaner/tools/ uninstall from start up menu. Two Intellipoint mouse items were listed on start up, and I made the mistake of deleting the wrong one!

Ever since my wireless mouse wont function.
I have deleted and reinstalled the mouse from Microsoft.com, but still not working.

I have also done a complete 'system restore' to a date before my mistake, but now all I get is a window to tell me Microsoft Intellipoint has encountered a problem and needs to close. And no matter whether I click 'send report' or 'don't send', or even just 'close', this window wont go away and my mouse still wont work!

Please help....I'm stuck!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:15 AM

You say that you have removed the mouse, using Device Manager, rebooted and installed it again and it still doesn't work?

Have you tried the mouse on another system? Maybe it's defective.

Louis

#3 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hi Loius,

I uninstalled the mouse using CCleaner then rebooted, and reinstalled from Microsoft. Rebooted several times including 1 system restore. But no luck. To make matters worse the latest download (have tried twice) wont complete.. says it thinks i need to install a disk. But the wireless keyboard/mouse did not come with any disc. Anyway both were working perfectly before i tried to delete the device manager pop up story.

The device manager shows me that the wireless mouse is installed and functioning correctly. My problem is I mistakenly deleted it from the Start up menu (via CCleaner) and so now I'm guessing I have prevented it from functioning. I just cant think how to undo my error, as CCleaner does not offer a back up/restore point and the new installations keep telling me that the thing is already installed.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

The Intellipoint software should have installed a new entry into your startups. In order to restore it (if this is not the case) you'll have to locate the executable file for the software and make a shortcut to in in your Startups (or add an entry to it in the Registry).

Navigate (in Windows Explorer) to the Program Files directory and start looking for Microsoft and Intellipoint. Once you locate that, in the Intellipoint directory you'll have to locate which of the files ending in .exe that starts up the device (try double clicking on them until one shows up in the system tray (Notification Area) by the clock.

Once that's done, drag the icon to your Startup folder, hold down the Alt key (and you'll see the shortcut arrow), then release it into the Startup folder (while continuing to hold the Alt key).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hi John, and thank you.

I managed to locate the Intellipoint exe file. When I double click it, it only gives me the latest window report (my new plague) which has been telling me 'Microsoft Intellipoint has encountered a problem...', and now I am stuck with this window which continually pops up asking me to send/don't send an error report. I have done both to no avail.

I seem to have caught myself in a check-mate position...
Where to from here?

#6 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

Arrrrrgh!
I am now continally plagued by a Microsoft Intellipoint error report (as if I need to be continually told I have an error!) No matter how many times I have clicked send/dont send error report...the window has repeatedly poped up and sits on my screen to inform me of the obvious. I have not been able to get ANY work done today, and see no light at the end of this tunnel. Can anyone shed more light on this problem... I badly need some help.
TY.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

To disable Windows Error Reporting:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click My Computer, then click Properties.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Click Error Reporting.

Check Disable error reporting.

If you want to be notified when errors occur without being prompted to report the errors, select But notify me when critical errors occur.
Click OK.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

I'd have to suggest a repair install of XP in order to try and sort this out.
First uninstall any Intellipoint/Intellitype stuff that you have installed.
If you have IE7 uninstall it prior to the repair install
To perform the repair install, follow these instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

FYI - further info on repair install with IE7 installed can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry692141
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users