Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:53 AM

is there a way to know what memory size my built in graphics adapter has?Tnx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:09 AM

Yup!

You can run the DirectX Diagniostic from the Run box:

1. Click on Start then on Run...
2. Type dxdiag and press enter
3. If asked if you want to check WHQL certs, click no
4. Wait for the program to load, then click on the Display tab

You adapter's info will be displayed, including the memory.

There's also a freeware app called GPU- z that shows a whole bunch of data about your video adapter: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 18 January 2008 - 04:09 AM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:06 AM

The most important thing to remember about onboard graphics is they take a 20-25% performance hit from sharing system memory, the newer pci-e cards using turbocache seem to suffer less from this effect

Next you have to consider how much actual system memory is available and if you can keep enough ram for system use and video use.

Some systems have a bios setting, some are automatic

Advanced display properties under adapter might show the allocated video memory, sometimes you just have to do the math and see how much of your system memory is missing to figure out what is being shared
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for all suggestions.I ran dxdiag and under display tab there is approx. total mem which is only 4 mb?I asked this because I was having a problem installing nba live game on my pc.Is there a way to increase its size?If ever I add memory chip will it also help share certain amount for video?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

Onboard memory...generally allows a user to change the amount allocated...in the BIOS. There is a setting in there which reflects the amount of RAM allocated for onboard video/graphics. Change that setting to what you want, save the changed BIOS settings, reboot (it should reboot automatically after you save the settings), and that should be it.

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Louis

Edit: That's what I thought also, Chewy (about the 4MB). I don't think I've seen that since my first computer (1996).

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2008 - 09:52 AM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

your computer must be very old, systems designed after windows xp came out share at least 8 or 16 megs of ram

windows xp minimum video ram is 16 megs
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:30 AM

Yes it's very old.But I never had any problem with it since it was brought to us.It really works well for me.So im currently doing all types of upgrade to make it more beneficial.Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users