Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optional Start-up Rescources Selector ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone reading this could recommend a program if they have ever heard of one, that will allow me to select which rescources my system boots with, preferably with a profile manager eg,

I power--up the PC, It asks which profile, say GAMES or BROWSING or MUSIC and it will load a pre-set of rescources/services for that task and leaving unwanted off.

I think in all my time of searching the internet I have prety much found EVERYTHING I need for every task I want to do bar this one?

thanks in advance, great forum from what I can see so far.

Phil

Edited by MrUnderpants, 18 January 2008 - 12:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:25 AM

Hi there MrUnderpants, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

I believe you may be searching for what is known as "Hardware Profiles". Here's a quick tutorial I found on how to set them up: http://tweak.us/cms/article_Hardware_Profiles.html

I've never used this method before but it seems to be exactly what you want!

PS Love your name!

#3 MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

Hey thanks for the reply,

Seriously! Ive been computing since 1842 and I aint seen one! ;)
I play games and obviously I browse, but there are some other things I like (music) that all could benefit from a pre-determined set-up. I think if people realised just how many useless resources/memory/processing power/ , , and spyware that you just don't need it's mind boggling!

I have to switch all these damn things off everytime I want Maxx (and I mean MAX!) out of this PC. But its very time consuming if not mind warping having to do this two or three times a day!

Thanks for the link and I'll come back once I have disected it. I might write a little tutorial for yer all listing out what I know so far on it,

You would be suprised what is running on your systems behind the scenes!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users