Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Before Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gohongohon

gohongohon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

I will like to say thank you for any help i get up front so thank anyone that helps.

Well here is my problem about 2 weeks ago when my wife would start up her computer it would stay at the HP screen that would let you choose Start up end bios screen. It will stay there for 3 hours it would not read the mouse or anything. But after that it would start up as normal.

So the things that i have tried to do was do a system restore (did not work) then a repair that you do on the window cd (did not work) then i went to a more extream and wiped the harddrive and put xp pro on it (this also did not help) So i thought that it was not a soft wear problem. I thought maybe it was a fan problem But when i got to my bios screen it says that my CPU Fan Speed is 3220 rpm and system fan speed is 1600 rpm and my cpu temp 45C/111F they flex a little but not much.

my processor is amd 64 3300+
my ram 512mb

I guess if you need to know anything else just let me know and i will try to provide it :thumbsup: thanks everyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:01 AM

If Windows does actually load...the first thing that I suggest is to take a look at the error messages generated in the Event Viewer. There may be clues about the problem there.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

The second thing I suggest is to take a look in Device Manager. In Device Manager, you are looking for either red or yellow markings (which indicate that there is a problem with that device).

Device Manager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Manager

If you can post back with what you find, it will provide a better base.

What model HP system is this?

Louis

#3 gohongohon

gohongohon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

Ok my event viewer Under

Application: I got a bunch on Win Mgmt warnings

that was it there.

and my Device manager there is some yellow question marks.

3400 series
ethernet controller
lexmark 3400 series
multimedia audio controller
pci simple communications controller

and one of the USB mass storage device had a yellow ! on it

also the model is a1030e hp pervilion

hopes that helps a little sorry it took so long to get back work is a pain

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

Each of those yellow question marks...indicates a device which needs to have drivers installed.

These drivers should be on a CD which was given to you when the system was purchased and it probably just needs to be inserted and then autorun should install all drivers.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...=Pavilion+1030e

You can download drivers from the above, note that there are two models listed...I don't know which is yours.

Louis

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index...playTab=Article

Is this the error reflected in Event Viewer?

When talking about EV errors, the more info, the better.

You can double-click on any line item to see more details re that error.

Louis

#6 gohongohon

gohongohon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:23 AM

ok im not sure what i did but for some reason it stopped. but now im trying to go back to xp home because it is my copy but what i bought with my computer there is no xp disc it was a system restore disc so i take of xp pro and delete the pratation (sorry misspelled) and reinstalled form the disc but when i start to install it wants a product key but i did not get one with the dick case or anything. So i put the disc in my working computer looking for a file on it that would tell me the key that is attached to it. So im kinda stuck on a way to get the key for it. I kept all the papers but nothing has a key on it just 2 cds one to wipe and one total undo the system. I guess is there something on the cd that would tell me the key.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

You can get the key by using SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/

Run the program, click on Licenses.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users