Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nlite Vs. Cloning Vs. Slipstreaming Xp Setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 0kloaker0

0kloaker0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

Greetings everyone,

Greetings everyone,

I think I need some advice on how to install XP. ""Ultimately I want to Image my partition with all my apps and tweaks

installed to my liking with TrueImage 10"". I have installed XP many, many times but it is always corrupted, unstable or

becomes infected before I have finished tweaking and installing to my satisfaction because I need on the Internet before I am

done for updates and surfing. I have only one computer and it takes a couple of months (believe it or not) to get everything

just right. Am I looking at a combination of Slipstreams, Cloning, parallel install or would I get by on cloning?

The bits of info I am getting from this and that site is not coming together for me. Ultimately I want to master

unattended setups like is found here http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/ but I don't "think" I need to be concerned

with it now. Should I first slipstream XP with all the service packs and hotfixes, then clone my drive, and then install my

apps, registry tweaks, etc.and then clone it again. I use AVG Free, SpywareGuard, Spybot, AdAware etc, and they all need

updated from the Internet which takes a long time since I am in the woods with dial-up so I need them (Internet Updates) in

my image.

Also I use peoplepc dial-up to connect. I do not want this in my image because I may need to find another service

because XP's Performance Monitor will not work after I install their software, even after I uninstall peoplepc. I can connect

to the Internet without their software using windows dial-up and peoplepc's access numbers and passwords but is this safe?

Should I install XP on a second partition also and then use my first install for surfing until I tweak the second install

to my liking. But then I would have to activate XP again! I have heard you can copy the wpa but would that work on the second

install for Windows update.Ultimately I may want a second install for video editing, etc, but again does anyone know of sound

problems?

I have:

Athlon XP 2800
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
80GB Seagate cuda 8MB with 3 partitions.
System C: 14.65 GB with 9.93 GB free
D: 43.85 GB with 4.67 GB free
E: 16.03 GB with 16.03 GB free

PIONEER DVD-RW Dual-layer (Single layer disks)
XP Home (doh!) 5.1.2600
Service pack 2 Disk (not multi or network)
nLite (not sure if .net is safe)
TrueImage 10
Nero 6 Ultra
Unlead DVD MovieFactory Suite Deluxe 3.5
Deepburner
FlashGet

Many thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:04 AM

It's been my experience that, when imaging, you'll have to make several images before you'll get one that you're satisfied with. That way, should the adjusting/tweaking make things unstable, you won't have to go all the way back to the beginning.

For example, you can make an image:
1) Once the Windows installation has finished
2) Once you've added all the Windows Updates
3) Once you've installed all your security software
4) Once you've installed your favorite apps
5) Once you've done all of your tweaking (or even at intervals while you're doing it)

You can retain all of the images if you like, or can just retain the most current one. That way you're 20 minutes away from starting over, rather than hours and hours away from it.

Then, when you're finally happy with the results, make a final image and store it carefully (maybe even copy it to other media "just in case")

A second install would require a second activation - but it should go fairly easily since the hardware won't have changed. I must advise against installing 2 copies of XP with only 1 Product Key - not only does this (IMO) violate the EULA, but it will cause problems with the installation that was activated first (since Microsoft figures the last one is the only legal one).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users