Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cyclic Redundancy Check Errors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

I did a complete reformat and recovery on my HP Pavilion 6135nr Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition laptop. I am getting these "cyclic redundancy check" CRC errors while trying to copy files back to the desktop that I backed up on dvds. I have backed up files on dvd and restored them to the desktop before and never got this error...it's worse when trying to restore the pics in My Photos.

Microsoft seems to have a lot about this relating to Outlook Express files, but not to this particular problem. I exported and imported my OE messages just fine.

Does anyone know how I can correct this?

Thank you,
jackiemarie

EAM, Malware Bytes Premium

HP g7- Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hi Jackiemarie

After you copied your files to the DVD, did you check to be sure the files opened ok from the DVD?
Can you read the files from another computer?

Here is a link that may explain some possibilities for you:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html

Edited by Crizz44, 17 January 2008 - 09:55 PM.

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

Hi Jackiemarie

After you copied your files to the DVD, did you check to be sure the files opened ok from the DVD?
Can you read the files from another computer?

Here is a link that may explain some possibilities for you:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html

No, I was in a rush and it was foolish not to have checked...the files are able to be opened from the cd and/or dvd they were copied on to, but the error occurs after I've put the dvd in E drive and selected the file I want to restore to my desktop...when the little box comes up that shows the file is being copied back on the desktop, an error box comes up and says it can't be done because a CRC error has occurred.

I will go to this website tomorrow; too late here today.

Thank you for your reply.
jackiemarie

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

If you have another computer and a flash drive, you could try transfering the information from the dvd to the flash and then put the flash in your laptop and see if you have any problems. You may have a problem with the dvd drive in your laptop.

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hi jackiemarie,

As I just posted in your HJT log thread, you should post here what you told me via PM so we know how you're progressing.

If you don't mind, I'll give a short summary. HP has run a disagnostic on your system and because of the CRC error and other issues, so has determined that your hard drive needs to be replaced, is that correct?

I am not an expert on all this, but from reading the info that Crizz44 linked to, it sounds as if HP could be correct as a bad hard drive is one possibility as a cause of those errors. If that is based on hard diagnostic data that HP has been looking at.

Otherwise I would be looking hard at the CD/DVD burning process as more likely. I wouldn't think the DVD disks themselves would be damaged--you mentioned burning was new to you so you may have done something incorrectly--so it is possible you have both a bad hard drive and corrupted data on you backup disks.

This is why it would be helpful to know if you have tried what has already been suggested. Have you attempted to transfer any files to another computer and what happened? And/or have you tried transferring to a flash drive or USB external hard drive--any type of writable drive that doesn't require the burning procedure? If you don't have another computer or drives available to you let us know that.

No matter what happens to your computer and the hard drive, we want to be sure that the important data that you backed up isn't lost or corrupted. Even if you did improperly burn the backups, the article we are referring to lists a data recovery program for CD's that should get them back for you. Have you given it a try? I've never used it, but at the moment it has a clean bill of health from Softpedia's download site. I you could run those tests or have already done so so that we know that there is a corrupted file on DVD problem to deal with then we can proceed from there.

Also I have to ask this even tho it may sound as if it is insulting your intelligence (but see my sig)--you never know what people do know and don't know: what type files were you trying to transfer? Photos, documents, text files etc.? Some people try to copy everything on their drive, including installed programs in the Programs Files folder--that won't work unless you use a program like Acronis True Image that makes a clone of an entire 9uncorrupted) drive.

Please let us know what you have done and how else we can help you. If you have already taken the computer to the shop and/or don't have the other equipment, then we will understand why you hadn't posted back with an update.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#6 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

I just spent more than 2 hours preparing a reply to Papakid; I hit the wrong button while previewing the post and lost it all. I will prepare again...hopefully by tomorrow.
Jackiemarie

#7 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

If you have another computer and a flash drive, you could try transfering the information from the dvd to the flash and then put the flash in your laptop and see if you have any problems. You may have a problem with the dvd drive in your laptop.

No, I do not have access to another computer or a flash drive. Thank you for your suggestions; please see reply below.

Hi jackiemarie,

As I just posted in your HJT log thread, you should post here what you told me via PM so we know how you're progressing.

If you don't mind, I'll give a short summary. HP has run a disagnostic on your system and because of the CRC error and other issues, so has determined that your hard drive needs to be replaced, is that correct?

Also I have to ask this even tho it may sound as if it is insulting your intelligence (but see my sig)--you never know what people do know and don't know: what type files were you trying to transfer? Photos, documents, text files etc.?

Please let us know what you have done and how else we can help you. If you have already taken the computer to the shop and/or don't have the other equipment, then we will understand why you hadn't posted back with an update.

Never be concerned about insulting my intelligence, I am here TO LEARN and get issues settled; I have the lifestyle of not receiving any offense - it is injurious to the heart.

First, the CRC issue:
This error message occurred when trying to copy and restore photos from dvds. I see now that the problem occurred with pics I had uploaded from a Walgreens cd. Although they did not copy properly into the My Pictures folder of My Documents, they are complete in a folder I'd made on the desktop and copied into there also. I have been able to restore text files, photos, and Favorites from the backup dvds and have not lost data. I did not backup program files.
I have used Sonic (it comes standard with this notebook) today to burn some desktop files onto a dvd and it worked just fine; I copied some of the files back onto the desktop, and it worked fine. Based on this, I do not believe there is a problem with the dvd/cd burner; I could be wrong.

Secondly, the HD issue:
This Pavilion dv6135nr laptop (Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition) is 14 months old. It has never left my home, never been to a repair shop. All the suggestions have come to me through phone conversations with HP case managers for escalated service outside Seattle. There were issues with performance and slowness after I surveyed what was available in the Media Center (start>all programs>media center), and HP told me to do a recovery using the d:\Recovery Partition which is standard on this notebook (this model did not have recovery disks with it). This was supposed to put the system back to factory settings; this was done 11/21, but it did not put the system back to factory settings. (On 12/1, I had an incident with a performanceoptimizer error,changes to my home page, freezes, shutdowns, etc., so I worked with BC for many days on this; it has been resolved, and there was no malware or infection). Because the recovery partition reformat failed, HP sent me two disks to do a destructive recovery. This was done on 1/16. After 12+ hours of recovery, reinstallation, getting security back up, getting the 89 MS updates installed, there are still problems - and some are worse than before.

1) I still do not have the ability to do a system restore - start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore (this laptop has never been able to do this). The screen will have me go thru the process to select the restore point, say it will do it, then another screen comes up that says "unable to restore, no changes have been made to the system". It will say this at multiple restore points even with many changes made.

2) In the Event Viewer, the Application section goes from 1/16 to 1/18 and hasn't had an entry since that time; I've refreshed it, but it doesn't change. There are multiple application hang, userenv, and MsiInstaller errors in the 1/16-1/18 period. There is no warning/error around the time this section quit functioning.

3) In the Event Viewer, the System section is correct as to time and date (today is 1/23); there are multiple Dhcp, lost IP address, lost network status, and CdRom0 has a bad block errors. There is no warning or error around the time the Application section quit functioning.

4) The Help and Support Center that is above run and search on the start menu does not seem to have all the information it should have; it has always seemed incomplete.

5) On the start>all programs listing, this model will put a blue highlight on new programs that have been installed until you click on them. This worked all right until I installed Webroot, Real Player, SuperAntiSpyware, and Zone Alarm firewall. I can click on them every day when I turn the laptop on and have no blue highlights, then the next time I restart, the blue highlighting is back again.

6) I had a DEP Data Execution Prevention shutdown on 1/20 and all I did was raise the lid on the laptop after it had been closed about 30 minutes; I close the lid during the day many times and shut it off at night; there has never been a problem just by raising the lid.

7) Sometimes when I turn it on, I have to restore the system tray icons for Norton AV, Spy Sweeper, and Zone Alarm; they come and go sometimes.

I myself did a diskcheck on 1/19; after an hour or so, the result was "clean"; I did a BIOS check before the first recovery on 11/21 and it was fine. I defragged today and after the recovery. I went to the HP website today and ran the diagnostic tests for this laptop. Every test (processor,cd rom,audio,USB bus,video adaptor,battery,modem,IDE hard disk,LAN,memory,monitor,PCI bus) came back "passed" and "OK". I have double checked, and I have every Windows update and every HP update. 66% of my 2 GB memory is free; I do not do gaming; I don't have a digital camera or store huge amounts of pics or anything else.

HP called me a few days ago to see how things were going; when I told them what is noted above, they sent me another HD and want me to install it and return my present one to them; they say it will probably take 24+ hours, then there is the time for updates, etc.

I do not have enough technical proficiency to know what to do. I am not convinced this is a HD issue though -- and I don't know how serious these continuing issues are or even if it's hardware, software or both. My gut tells me that HP wants to replace the HD because they have no explanation for the present errors and no other way to fix it; by the way, I had such trouble with this laptop after opening the Media Center and such poor advice from the Indian techs over a period of time that the escalated case manager gave me a one year extension on the warranty free in October of 2007; my warranty and accidental damage protection is extended until 11/30/08. I have been to Best Buy to inquire about "lemons", but they said that I would have to have bought their extended protection at the time of purchase AND have taken the laptop into them to send to HP for repair at least FOUR times; after the fourth time, they would replace it. I did not buy their extended protection when I purchased it, so no help there.

I am not comfortable returning my present HD to them; I access financial sites but don't pay bills from the laptop. I have done taxes at pay sites on the laptop, but never saved the return or any info to the HD. I have applied using my social security number and credit card number using the laptop, but never saved any form or info to the laptop. I am not skilled enough to know if I'm compromising my info - even if I use killdisk (as HP suggested).

I am extending thanks in advance for any help and guidance; I truly need some expert advice.
Jackiemarie

#8 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

It does sound like you have a lemon with all you're detailed in your above post.
However to go back to your original post re CRC error this is normally but not always a problem with the disc. I always try to tell ppl that it's OK to write music files etc at the fast speed recommended by their burning Prog but when it comes to data slow it down.

CRC failure is more likely than not a problem with the disc and could be something as simple as a fingerptint on it- sounds silly but it is worth a check. Other than that it sounds like a corrupt burn so as suggested previous try it out on a different PC or Laptop.

Other than that I don't know which direction to point you in.

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the input Pippincp. I don't do a lot of burning but what you say makes a lot of sense. CdRom0 has a bad block sounds to me like the disk is physically bad or there was corruption somewhere. I've also heard that cheap CD/DVD's should be avoided and maybe that's what happened here.

jackiemarie, I won't have time to get much into all the good details you posted but will give you a few thoughts.

1. Some of the errors you are getting are normal--they don't indicate a serious problem.

2. HP's recommendation that you replace the hard drive may not be because of the CRC errors. Because of how DEP is acting would be more likely.

3. You have the new hard drive in hand now, might as well replace it. I know it is a pain and time consuming. I do hate to do this to you, but it sounds like you need help with how to replace the hard drive, so that would be a hardware issue. So for that specific process it would probably be better if you asked how to do that specifically in the Hardware forum.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#10 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the input Pippincp. I don't do a lot of burning but what you say makes a lot of sense. CdRom0 has a bad block sounds to me like the disk is physically bad or there was corruption somewhere. I've also heard that cheap CD/DVD's should be avoided and maybe that's what happened here.

jackiemarie, I won't have time to get much into all the good details you posted but will give you a few thoughts.

1. Some of the errors you are getting are normal--they don't indicate a serious problem.

2. HP's recommendation that you replace the hard drive may not be because of the CRC errors. Because of how DEP is acting would be more likely.

3. You have the new hard drive in hand now, might as well replace it. I know it is a pain and time consuming. I do hate to do this to you, but it sounds like you need help with how to replace the hard drive, so that would be a hardware issue. So for that specific process it would probably be better if you asked how to do that specifically in the Hardware forum.

I add my thanks for your input, Pippincp. And thank you, Papakid, for your time and ideas. HP said it was the lack of a system restore ability and the Event Viewer Application errors. I will post in the forum your suggest. I am thankful you made this recommendation as I didn't want it so seem like I was double posting.
Jackiemarie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users