Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&d

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

I just updated, and Immunized SpyBot S&D and in the Internet Explorer [32 bit] section it's telling me that I have 9 \SOFTWARE [Plugins] that are unprotected. And in the Windows section under Global [Hosts] it's reporting that I have 20 that are unprotected.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:07 PM

Hi Wendy,

Once you've clicked on the Immunize shield in the navbar, you still need to click on the green plus (+) sign on the Immunize menu. :thumbsup:

ETA: More info. Be sure you're running it with full admin rights.

Edited by Dialer, 17 January 2008 - 09:12 PM.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:56 AM

Hi Dialer, Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, that's what I always do. I click the shield, then watch SpyBot building its little brick wall, then when its finished I click the green plus thingy and watch it build its brick wall all over again. Once that is done I'll hit the check again button too.

I may have just stumbled across the reason that SpyBot wasn't able to update the global host thingy and was leaving me with 20 of them unprotected though.

A couple of weeks ago I installed an anti key-logger because I have been having trouble, seemingly with someone being able to gain remote access to Yahoo account. And as they would sign in as fast as I changed my password I started thinking that someone might have gotten a key-logger installed on my PC.

Anyway, for some reason it was hogging up 90+% of my CPU so I had turned it off just before I started reading your reply. Then I started SpyBot and ran an up date while I was reading this... no updates were available but just for grins and chuckles I decided to do the 'Immunize' thing just to watch that brick wall being built.

Well... much to my surprise SpyBot made changes to my host file when I did that. So now that part is up to date. Now, all I have left to figure out is "Where" to look to find out where those 9 SOFTWARE [Plugins] listed in the Internet Explorer [32 bit] section are hiding so I can see if I need to disable them or what.

Any idea where I should look for those suckers?

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hi Wendy,

Heheheh... I enjoy watching the brick wall, too. Reminds me of the old days when defrag was like a little Pacman. :thumbsup:

I don't know how you can find those plugins, but apparently this is a known bug in S&D. The current work-around seems to be to first undo immunization (takes a while to run) and then re-immunize.

Which version are you using? I have v. 1.5.1.17, a beta release that runs very well for me.

Surprised to learn that S&D automatically updated your hosts file. I do add the S&D list every time I install the MPVS hosts file update. If I were you, I'd probably check to make sure that I have the latest hosts file update installed, in case there's another bug that might have caused S&D to overwrite it. :flowers:

Hope this helps.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

Hi Dialer, Thanks for the reply.

Hey, :thumbsup: I tried that SpyBot link, twice, and it comes up as 'Sorry No Match' so I can't read it... yet anyway. Maybe I'll go sign in and see what I can find.

I have v 1.5.1.15 with all of the available updates. As for that automatically updating my host file thing goes, the next time that it happens I'll pay more attention to exactly what messages I get and post back here with it. Maybe I'm saying it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it was doing that automatically.

Umm...*feeling kind of blond here* where do I look to check that host file thingy Boo?

I'm currently reading through the SpyBot forum trying to get some info on that bug fix for my un-protected things.

EDIT: OK, after having done some reading on SpyBots forum I found that the cure to my problem with the unprotected things seems to be to use the "UNDO" button in SpyBot, undo everything, and then re-immunize everything again.

Oh yeah, and if you're running Spyware Blaster crank it up, click the disable all protectiond button and un-protecting everything BEFORE you re-immunize with SpyBot, then click the apply all protections button in Spyware Blaster to re-enable all protections AFTER you've imunized with SpyBot.

Yeah Me! I did it, with a little help from my friends. And here's just a little example of what SpyBot has been doing, automatically, to my host files;

127.0.0.1 localhost
# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
127.0.0.1 hao123.com
127.0.0.1 www.hao123.com

The only reason that I know that hapens is because I have WinPatrol and that little dog barks at me when it does. This time it was just those two entries that got added, but I've seen it add a couple of hundred at a whack too.

Thanks,

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 26 January 2008 - 01:35 AM.

#6 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

Hi Dialer and everyone IT is ME again. MATT.

I have something similar happening to me with Spybot. But I have hundreds or a thousand of those things it leaves unprotected. I have always wondered: How do I correct that? So, do I have to go to the Spybot website for information?

I am currently running a Spybot scan and waiting to see what happens. I had just updated it. I will be right back and let you know what shows up on the scan and then what I do. I will try to post a shot of the screen or a log of what it showed came up on the scan. And also left unprotected.

EDIT: here are the results of the first scan:
Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer: [SBI $A3433CBF] Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-l-5-21-1921292706-2233922792-2079689605-1000\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOC KDOWN\iexplore.exe
CouponBar: [SBI $EFE6495E] Class ID (Registry key, nothing done) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C}
CouponBar: [SBI $CB95FB49] Class ID (Registry key, nothing done) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{A85A5E6A-DE2C-4F4E-99DC-F469DF5AOEEC}
CouponBar: [SBI $51FE8B2E] Root class (Registry key, nothing done) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ciasses\cpbrkpie.Coupon6Ctrl.l
CouponBar: [SBI $51FE8B2E] Class ID (Registry key, nothing done) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C}
CouponBar: [SBI $7A5ACBCB] Interface (Registry key, nothing done) HKEY_CUSSES_ROOT\Interface\{6E780FOB-BCD6-40CB-B2DB-7AF47AB4D4A4}
CouponBar: [SBI $7B15781E] Interface (Registry key, nothing done) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{A138BE8B-F051-4802-9A3F-A750A6D862D4}
CouponBar: [SBI $E3788A7B] Type library (Registry key, nothing done) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{87255C51-CD7D-4506-B9AD-97606DAF53F3}
Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.5 (build: 20070830)
2007-08-31 blindman.exe (1.0.0.6) 2007-08-31 SDMain.exe (1.0.0.4) 2007-08-31 SDUpdate.exe (1.0.6.4) 2007-08-31 SDWinSec.exe (1.0.0.8) 2007-08-31 SpybotSD.exe (1.5.1.15) 2007-08-31 TeaTimer.exe (1.5.0.9) 2007-10-29 uninsOOO.exe (51.46.0.0) 2007-08-31 Update.exe (1.4.0.5) 2007-08-31 advcheck.dll (1.5.3.0) 2007-04-02 aports.dll (2.1.0.0) 2007-04-02 DelZipl79.dll (1.79.5.3) 2007-08-31 SDHelper.dll (1.5.0.8) 2007-08-31 Tools.dll (2.1.2.0) 2008-01-23 Includes\Cookies.sbi (*) 2007-12-26 Includes\Dialer.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\DialerC.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\HeavyDuty.sbi (*) 2007-12-26 Includes\Hijackers.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\HijackersC.sbi (*) 2007-10-04 Inc!udes\Keyloggers.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\KeyloggersC.sbi (*) 2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi (*) 2008-01-16 Includes\Malware.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\MalwareC.sbi (*) 2007-10-24 Includes\PUPS.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\PUPSC.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\Revision.sbi (*) 2008-01-09 Includes\Security.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\SecurityC.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\Spybots.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\SpybotsC.sbi (*) 2007-11-06 Indudes\Tracks.uti 2008-01-16 Includes\Trojans.sbi (*) 2008-01-23 Includes\TrojansC.sbi (*) 2008-12-24 Plugins\TCPIPAddress.dll

I clicked fix problems. Then after the problems were fixed,I then Clicked on the Immunize Shield. And that left me with about 3000 and some odd things unprotected. Then I closed out of Spybot, And then Reopened and ran it again. This time I made sure I ran it as an Admin. The scan came up clean. Then I did the Immunize again Here is what it left unprotected: 3794. Now I will try the undo and then reimmunize and see if that works. I will let you know what happens.

Edited by Groffeaston, 29 January 2008 - 12:35 AM.

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:58 AM

Hello again it's ME.

Speaking of Host files. I just did the undo button on Spybot. HOLY! MOLY! You should see all the enteries that it added, several thousand if not more!! WOW!!! Now I am going to try to reimmunize again and see if it works. Wish me luck.

YAHHHH it worked!! THanks to those whos went before me and found the way!!!!!! Now I know what trick to do from now on. :thumbsup:

Edited by Groffeaston, 29 January 2008 - 01:06 AM.

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

Hi Groffeaston,

Cool, I'm glad that you got your problem fixed. But me thinketh that you need to double check ALL of your settings in SpyBot and make sure that you have every thing set according to SpyBots instructions because that shouldn't be happening like that.

At least pay close attention to whats going on the next several times that you update the program. If it acts right several times in a row then you might be OK.

♥ Wendy

#9 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:00 AM

Hi Wendy,

Yeah that was not the first time I ran Spybot. I have had it since about October, and could not figure out why it left all those things unprotected. I just thought that was the way it was. Dumb me. I never thought to ask on here about it. Double Dumb me. Well Now I know better. THanks. I guess I will have to keep an eye on it. I ran it again, and it came up with nothing unprotected. So I guess I am ok?

But man when I saw all those web site files listed, I dang near had a heart attack! There was 3000 and some odd hundred of them. Now I will pay more attention.

#10 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:09 AM

Hi Groffeaston,

Well I'm glad that you got the sucker working right. I've got close to 8K of those buggers on mine... maybe you better update, and re immunize again. Not really, I think everybody has a different number of things.

Wendy

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

so whose thread IS this now? wendy's or Groffeaston's?

whose problem ARE we trying to sort out?

#12 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

Hi ruby1,

Well I guess it is a bit corn-fusing isnt it? Not to worry though as I think that we actuly have it all worked out now.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users