Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide Cable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IDestunt

IDestunt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:32 PM

Ok here is my problem, I recently installed a new HD, everything worked fine with that, but in the process I removed the IDE cables from my other HD and Cdrom. When I went to plug them back in I cant figure out how to do it, they were originally connected by a repair store. I have one IDE slot on my motherboard, the setup was my Hard drive was connected as the master and my cdrom plugged into the same IDE cable in the middle as the slave. But when I go to plug them in that way there is no possible way that the cable will reach. Although it will reach if I plug the end of the IDE cable (Master) Into the cdrom and then plug the middle (Slave) into the Hard drive, but my jumpers are set opposite. What confuses me the most is how the last person was able to connect it. So is this going to create any problems? Will it work? I cant figure out what else to do. And by the way my new HD is connected via SATA if anybody was wondering. Thanks

Drew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hello,
You did not say if you where going to use the old hard drive.
If not then set the CD drive jumper to master and connect it to the first connector on the cable.
Thank you.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#3 IDestunt

IDestunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

Yes I am still using the old Hard drive, that is the problem, trying to connect them both, I have tried the configuration I mentioned with the HD connected to the middle and the cdrom on the end and it worked. I still have the jumpers set as HD master and cdrom slave. i'm just afraid of possibly causing some damage or it not working correctly.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

try the jumpers set for cable select, that might be better

personnally I wouldn't want both drives on the same cable but you seem to have little choice
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

Hello,
When I built my system I was using one cable for a hard drive and DVD drive. I had a few problems, but the hard drive was my only hard drive.
I bought a SATA and disconnected the IDE drive and everything works well now.
Thank you.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users