Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Pc Now Freezes When Opening Many Ie Browser Windows...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RockStone737

RockStone737

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hello BC Users,

This is my first topic created requesting assistance. I am using a Dell Dimension PC running WinXP Home SP2 with all the current updates to the operating system.

I used to be able to open about 45 Internet Explorer windows at the same time with no problem with performance; however, now my PC freezes up when I have only about 10 IE windows open concurrently, so it appears that the memory management is not working correctly, or something with memory.

Once the PC freezes, and I discover this as the new IE window that I just tried to open never successfully loads, if I delete another IE window, then it will load properly, so it appears to be memory realated.

I run eTrust Anitvirus (Computer Associates). My DSL modem has a build-in Firewall. I run MS Defender. I clear out my Cookies, I-Net Files, and History files almost after every session.

Something obviously affected the amount of IE sessions that I could concurrently open. I thought it might be the Registry getting cluttered, but I read your General comments in the "PC Running Slowly..." Forum, and you stated that the Registry may not account for much of the problem, of course, it's not so much that my PC is slow, but that it runs out of memory when multiple IE windows are concurrently opened. It's at about 25% capacity of what it used to be, which is very puzzling and troubling...

Hoping that you can provide some gems of wisdom as to go about determining and fixing the problem.

Also, are you familiar with any of the 3rd party software such as Registry Doctor, that clean up the Registry?

It seems to me that Microsoft should provide a FREE Utility that cleans up the Registry since they created it, and must know that it gets cluttlered when adding/removing software. We should not have to purchase a utility from 3rd party vendors to clean up the Registry. That is my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to blow off a little steam re: that issue... and for any assistance you can give to me...

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

~RockStone737... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

Have you looked in task manager and seen a problem there with memory usage?
I would first delete all temp files and disable all add-ons. Try increasing the disk space usage to the recommended 50-250MB range. You'll find all of this in tools>internet options.
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users