Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ibm Thinkvision 6636 - No Display, Amber Led

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nemslistings

nemslistings

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

At work we have IBM thinkvision montors model number 6636. We have close to 40 computers here with these things and probably around 20 of them have been replaced while still in warranty. Unfortunately, the warranty ran out on most of these back in August and on the rest in November. Now, they are still going dead and there seems to be no way to fix these without buying another monitor. Has anyone had this same problem and know how to fix them? All of them that IBM shipped back to us are going good.

The problem is that these will be working fine with no sign of a problem but once they go to sleep they just don't want to wake back up. (I have the same problem :thumbsup: ) The LED with show amber but not change to green. The display sometimes flicker and the led with flicker green when the screen does this but this is the only sign of life they show.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

Complaints about commercially purchased equipment should be addressed to the supplier/manufacturer.
Since there is the previous record of so many units going bad and so soon, there is a case to pursue even though the warranty periods have expired.

Repairs are more expensive than buying new units (non-IBM junk).

What is the cost on the downtime for every day the systems are off-line?

Edited by KoanYorel, 17 January 2008 - 05:06 PM.
spelling and poor grammar

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

Just to be sure, since they appear fine before going to sleep, check steps 2 & 3 here.
Mis-configured PM settings and\or monitor mode will do the same thing.
Has IBM indicated to you what was repaired on the returned monitors or did they just replace them?

#4 nemslistings

nemslistings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

So far, we have had a spare for every machine that has gone down but now I'm down to only one left in working order. IBM has not said what they have done to fix the ones that were returned.

I'll try the steps on the link as soon as my coworker comes in. Thanks!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

I would think, with the amount of units you've purchased and the problems you've had so far, that if IBM wants to continue to supply your company something could be worked out
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users