Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Erik B.

Erik B.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hey guys. I've been noticing my VAIO computer sometimes read 100% CPU Usage when I click on the Task Manager. When I go to WinTasks, it doesn't read 100% CPU. It reads 0% CPU Usage. I looked through the Startup List on this site and tried to disable three startup items and they were Reader_sl, GoogleToolbarNotifier, and ctfmon. I knew when I restarted my computer, all three of this would run because I use Microsoft Word quite a bit and Adobe Reader. Clicking on Internet Explorer would enable GoogleToolbarNotifier.

I contacted Sony, told them about my situation, and they gave me a link where I could install the Microsoft QFE (Q833228) to resolve an issue where CPU usage in the Indexing Service increases to 100 percent with computers that use removable storage devices. I was able to download it fine, but when I tried to install it, I get a message that says "Microsoft Windows XP update - QFE833228 requires Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 installed." I went to the Microsoft site and I have Windows XP SP2 running. I e-mailed Sony back and they told me to install a AMIBIOS BIOS Update to see if that would correct the issue. I'm extremely hesitant to do that. I don't want to have to resort to going to the BIOS and updating it.

Could it be my ZoneAlarm firewall or Avast resources hogging my system? I've had ZoneAlarm and Avast for almost two years. I run monthly virus checks and Spybot and didn't find anything. I'm really starting to think it could be the wear and tear of my computer. I've had it for almost five years and I read somewhere that the average age of a computer is 5-7 years.

Thank you for your help,

Erik B.

Edited by Erik B., 17 January 2008 - 04:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

Why not just do away with the indexing service. Not much of a benefit for being such a resource hog.
Here's info and how to do this-
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/I...ing_Service.htm
X

#3 Erik B.

Erik B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

For some reason, I already have it unchecked.

I want to point out this and see if this may have something to do with it:

I leave my computer on all day and I shut it off at night. Before, after I was done using the computer, I would shut it off. I did that three times a day. I know that can be pretty bad turning it on and off constantly so I stopped doing that. Could that be the problem? Should I put my computer on Standby instead?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

In the Processes tab of Task Manager - which process is using 100% of the CPU? If it's System Idle Process - then this is normally OK. There is malware that will also cause this, but the result is that you won't be able to use the system because of the 100% CPU usage.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Erik B.

Erik B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

It is the System Idle Process. Is there anything that I can do to trim that down or is it not that big of a deal?

#6 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

Hi! :thumbsup:
System Idle Process is no biggy....I don know what it is,lol
But it's good,nothing to worry :-)

#7 Erik B.

Erik B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

That's good to hear. I want my computer to be perfect so that's why I'm a little picky when it comes to that. I doubt I'm the only one that's having this issue.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

System Idle Process

is the amount of cpu available to use, 99% means nothing else is actively running at the time

start something intensive and you see that using cpu's and idle will decrease
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Erik B.

Erik B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

Such as Internet Explorer?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Such as Internet Explorer?

no, IE will use a little cpu when it opens but then turns it loose

something like playing a movie dvd or an avi would keep the cpu in use

a video encoding/conversion is intensive and prolonged
Chewy

#11 Erik B.

Erik B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

Ah, I see.

Is it pretty common for computers to have 100% CPU usage?

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

I thought we had covered that already? What part don't you understand?
Chewy

#13 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

"Definition of: System Idle Process

An option in the Windows XP Task Manager that indicates what percentage of time the CPU is currently doing nothing but waiting for work. If no applications are running that the user is aware of (although there may always be some tasks running in the background), the percentage can be in the high 90s."

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2...;i=52400,00.asp

#14 Erik B.

Erik B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

I thought we had covered that already? What part don't you understand?

I understand everything. I guess it is common for most computers to have 100% CPU Usage based on what you said. I never noticed it until a few days ago. That was all.

#15 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

In this case the usage really means non-usage. I know Windows can be confusing at times.
I still don't know why when I want to turn off my computer I have to click on the start button first. :thumbsup:
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users