Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb's Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jetsetsteph

jetsetsteph

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hello, all! I am running Windows XP, Home Media Center Edition. I have 5 USB's on it: 3 in the front and 2 in the back. Out of these 5, only 1 of the 2 in the back work. I have tried different USB devices...my mp3 player and 2 different digital cameras...in the different USB's, and nothing works. The one in the back that works is where my printer is plugged into. I have tried my other devices in this USB and they do not work, nor does the printer work in any other USB port. My friend looked at it and tried his USB flash drive and got the same response: Nothing.

When I first got this computer, back in Oct., 2006, Norton came pre-installed on a trial basis. We bought Norton in Dec., 2006, and within a month the USB's stopped working. We uninstalled Norton and they still did not work.

I did reinstall the drivers, but still, nothing. Also, I did check, and my computer does show 5 USB's being installed.

Yes, I realize it has taken me a year to post on a forum, but I've been spending time looking it all up.

I do not receive any messages stating that there is power problem. I did try to unplug the printer and try another USB, but that does not change anything, either.

Thank you in advance for your help!

--JSS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

OK :huh:.

First thing to realize: One-year warranty on system, motherboard is standard.

2d thing: Onboard solutions for video, sound, USB, modem, etc...are provided as an accomodation by motherboard makers. In the past...and, for some of us, in the present...PCI cards provided these functions.

3d thing: Anything manmade can go bad, especially if it's outside the warranty period.

USB 2.0 controller cards eliminate a lot of potential grief and are what I consider to be inexpensive. Easily installed. Example follows: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815106505

Now...if you removed the device, using Device Manager...rebooted and then allowed the device to be reinstalled...and you still have no joy, my guess is that the onboard chip for USB is just not doing the job and probably won't be able to do so in the future.

If a part will solve a problem for me and costs less than $10, I don't even think about it...I just get online and order :thumbsup:. I have it within 3/4 days with no special shipping and it resolves an irritating situation.

Louis

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

Edited to remove duplicate post caused by ???

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#4 jetsetsteph

jetsetsteph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I guess I am just trying to figure out if the computer is just not really recognizing it, even though it says they are installed. Or, would the computer recognize the new ones? I don't know if a System Recovery would actually fix it or not. I guess I am trying to figure out if this a problem with the computer or the devices, since I can't understand how 1 device will work in 1 port, but other devices will not work in that same port.

Can anyone explain this to me, please?

--JSS

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

"Also, I did check, and my computer does show 5 USB's being installed."

Was this in Device manager? In Device Manager, when you expand the +'s are there any yellow exclamation points or red X's?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 jetsetsteph

jetsetsteph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

Device Manager shows 5 USB's and 5 USB Root Hubs.

Thanks, Mark!

-JSS

No !'s or anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users