Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parental Controls Not Filtering Web

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 knf67

knf67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

I have the parental controls set to filter the web both generally and specific websites. Today my boy was caught looking at naked women by his 87 year grandmother. A test showed that the filtering was blocking neither the general nor the specific sites. On top of that, the reports are not showing any logs of the web site activity (they do show the program access activity though).

Does anyone know of a bug, fix, switch, etc? Any suggestions, issues, known problems? I have searched many forums and sites and have not found a similar issue.

Edited by knf67, 17 January 2008 - 03:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

Hello,
Is the account that your son using a Limited account?
If he has an administrative account the parental controls will not filter his web sites or create a log of his activity's.
Please go here to learn about user accounts.
The article is for XP but applies to Vista as well.
Thank you.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#3 knf67

knf67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

Is the account that your son using a Limited account?
If he has an administrative account the parental controls will not filter his web sites or create a log of his activity's.

Yes it is a limited account. I am getting some blocking of activity, i.e. the wireless switching is asking for administartor password, but not any of the web filtering. I am also getting logging of program activity, i.e. media player and the names of the songs, but no logging of web site activity.

#4 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

Please go here to learn more about setting up the parental controls.
It is possible that the computer has an infection that is over riding the parental control. If you are sure that every thing is properly set up you may want to go to the malware forum.
Thank you.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users