Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Lost Serial Number Off A Cd-rom?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hello,

Not sure if this is possible but I have a program on a cd-rom that I bought a few years ago and installed it on a different PC, now I need to install it on a new PC but I lost the serial number, i.e liscense number, product key or whatever you want to call it. it says it's a 20 digit number and is on an insert in the jewel case. Well I lost that insert and now I can't install the software.

Is there a way to explore the files on the CD and find the number?

I put the disk in the drive and right clicked and selected explore and can see some files but I don't know what they are, there is a 'setup' file that is a notepad file it has a string of numbers that I thought was the serial number but its too long, and it's alpha numeric and the serial number is just numeric.

There are other icons that my PC can't open because it doesn't know what program to use to open them.

I hope there is a way to do this. I called the manufacturer and they were no help they act like I'm trying to steal something but I'm not i bought the program myself, and it was expensive, $200 and I don't want to have to buy it again.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

Sorry WitsEnd,

We cannot help you with such per BC Board rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

It's sad you lost the key. Nothing we can do to help you with such if the authors will not help.

This topic is closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users