Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resize Main Partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 risngdragon145

risngdragon145

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hello I would like to resize my main (and only partition). As it stands I have one partition on my computer. The entire hard drive is there. I would like to resize that partition so that i can store all my personal (hard to replace) files as a safe harbor in case of a system failure.

As I understand it the traditional way to partition a hard drive would be to delete my C: drive then reinstall my OS ( which i cant do b/c i dont think that i got the Vista disk when i bought it) then partition my hard drive into smaller peices. I understand that by doing this i would lose everything on the hard drive and would then have to reinstall all the software/everything aigan.

this is not a viable option at this time b/c i need to amek a comiplation of all the various installs programs etc.

So what I would like to know is.... can I use the resize partition command to shave off some unused GB from my one and only drive to make a small partition without loosing/damage/screwing up anything that is already on that drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:04 AM

Yes you can do this.

1. Backup any important data you would not like to lose.

2. Defrag your hard-drive. If you have JkDefrag then use the -a 5 option to force as many files together as possible.

3. Reboot

4. Right click My Computer, select Manage and then select Disk Management

5. You should see you current C: drive. Right click it and select Shrink. You will then be able to shrink the partition. The amount which you can shrink it by is determined by the position of the last file physically on the hard drive. This is why you defragged first - to move as much as possible to the start of the drive.

6. Now you have some unused space on the drive, you can create a partition (or a number of partitions) in this free space.

This should all go without any problems, but just in case, please don't miss step 1 out - it's better to be safe than sorry. That being said, I've done this numerous times and never had any issues but your mileage may vary.

#3 Armorthane

Armorthane

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

I used Disk Director Suite to make changes to my partition and it is really easy to use.

It does cost $50 but is worth it for the program does all the work after you choose the settings. :huh:

#4 risngdragon145

risngdragon145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

Ok so just to be sure I should make an image of my harddrive....

Then I need to run an extreme defrag to get everything together....

After that I should pray to the invisible guy in the sky.....

Then go into disk management and resize my main partition.....

After that I will have some space with which to make a new partition....

All this without loosing a single thing on my main drive?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

The key here is making an image of your hard drive. If that's done properly, and you verify the image - you should have everything saved on in that image if you need it.

Then you can do almost anything to your drive - and will still be able to restore it.

The process "should" go seamlessly - but you never know what will happen, that's the reason for the image.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users