Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Reg Scanner For Vista?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

Does anyone know of a good Free Reg scanner/cleaner for Vista (pref online scan)

I have tried the Windows One safety scanner but took too long so I cancelled it - it does the spyware scans first then defrag etc;

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

In general we don't recommend the use of registry cleaners - too many people have reported too many problems after using them. Here's a thread with a good discussion about registry cleaners (although it's an XP thread, it applies to Vista also): http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:17 AM

Thanks. I read the whole article, and I dont think I wil pursue a Reg cleaner anymore. i deleted Comodo Firewall fairly recently, and have gone into every file I can think of in Windows to see if there is any trace left and cannot find any. I just wanted to run a reg cleaner to see if there is any traces left in the registry which a cleaner could remove.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

That is usually how it starts out. Someone wants to make sure that they removed all traces of a particular program, and then the registry cleaner 'finds' a bunch of other cryptic looking entries, so they get deleted, with the end result being that the system is irreparably screwed up.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the advise - I really was thinking that a Reg Cleaner was the answer, and it obviously is not.
The machine is running fine - and I am going to leave it that way.

#6 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the advise - I really was thinking that a Reg Cleaner was the answer, and it obviously is not.
The machine is running fine - and I am going to leave it that way.

A good alternative to a cleaner is this Registry search tool(plus it has other functions)

jv16 Powertools last free version

It's listed in 46 Best XP freewares

46 Best XP Freewares

I've been using it on XP and Vista Home Premium 32 bit for quite a while. The user interface is
a bit different. But it has a Registry Search from which you can group together the hits and decide
to delete or whatnot.

The other one I've found that does automatic cleanup of "registry issues" is CCleaner. It has
a backup feature so before you delete anything it makes .reg files in your documents folder
to put things back the way they were. But I do believe in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so
with all these utilities I use 'em on my old XP machine for awhile before letting them loose
on my Vista machine. Plus it's good to have a recent backup that you know works(I mean
a backup of your entire system partition, not just a Restore Point.)

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#7 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:31 AM

The other one I've found that does automatic cleanup of "registry issues" is CCleaner.

I use CCleaner for my Vista too. It's a "safe" programm that I've ever seen. I've used many programm which clean, optimize Registry ...bla..bla... And most of them cause my computer broken-down. They really made me angry. But CCleaner works well. He has never made me angry. :D.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users