Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot And Adaware Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kickehy

kickehy

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

Is it possible to use spybot and adaware to scan a different hard drive on your computer besides the C drive? Say, I have an E drive that I attached to my computer so I could scan it for spyware and viruses. Is it possible?

Thanks all,
Kickehy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

As far as I know Spybot and Adaware only clean the drive they are installed on. I would like to be able to scan specific areas with those programs too.
Anyway if you have another drive you know is infected you should be extremely careful not to get that PC infected and use a very good antivirus like SUPERantispyware or Avast! antivirus.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 kickehy

kickehy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, I use superantispyware and avast, and I was hoping to try something else to remove this stupid virus, but I've just gone and reinstalled. BUT! I was able to "trick" spybot into scanning another drive, at least I think I did. Here's how, see what you think:

1) Change to advanced mode
2) Click on the Settings tab
3) Click on the directories button
4) Right-click the white space and Add a directory, or in other words the other drive
5) Make sure to check "Check sub-directories of the above"

It'll then go and scan your main hard drive, and then at the end of the scan when it seems finished, it'll just sit there for however long scanning the other drive. The drive I did took like 30 min to scan so be patient and it DID find a few things. Not sure how effective this method is, but what the heck....don't have much to lose when you can't even boot the infected computer.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:51 PM

That makes sense, kickehy. The Directory setting appears to be related specifically to downloads, but I'd imagine it would scan whatever directory you put in there.

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

did you reinstall from yoru own CD with key??are you still infected and with what have you now scanned the computer to check FOR infections?

what protection have you got on board?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users