Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Minor Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jighead45

jighead45

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

You know how when you bookmark favorites in Internet Explorer you get a logo by the name? Like the multi colored eBay logo or the red Y for Yahoo?

About a week ago my favorites suddenly started changing the logos around. Not all of them, just a few. For example, game colony now has the University of Phoenix logo and another site has the eBay logo, and the Fox news logo comes and goes on several favorites.

I tired deleting the favorite and re-adding it and it still came up with the wrong logo.

I don't seem to be having any issues, but it's weird and I'm wondering about a Trojan of some sort.

Thanks for any advice.

AC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

Hi jighead45,

Try clearing the IE cache (Temporary Internet Files) Favicons are
stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder. The Favicons should be
reaquired and displayed by IE, but it may take a while.

You can also try FavOrg.
It's been reported that FavOrg works with IE7 in XP and Vista.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

Ahhhhh, thanks for that link, TMacK. I find myself having to clear my temp files several times a day because of this odd favicon behavior, so I'm hoping FavOrg will do the trick. I'll let you know how it does with Vista Home Premium.

Good luck, jighead45!

ETA: The US mirror site returned a 404, but the Romanian one is d/ling now.

Edited by Dialer, 17 January 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

Am happy to report that it definitely works in Vista, with the exception of the Help file, since Vista doesn't support the .hlp extension. Sigh. Fortunately, it's a fairly intuitive program - at least in terms of checking for bad links in my Favorites folder, so that's nice. I'm still experimenting with the favicons aspect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users