Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall Old Java Version

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cindylu

Cindylu

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:28 AM

I recently installed a new hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP from my 4 year old OS and drivers disks.

I'm all set except that I knew that I would need to update Java. I downloaded the most current version of Java. I then went to Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the old version (which I've been told is important for security reasons).

When I went to remove Java, I got a window with a message from Windows Installer saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing te installation package 'Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2.msi' in the box below.

Then it gives me a chance to browse. I cannot find any installation file anywhere so I just stop the process. I then get a window that says "The pat 'c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\{7148F0A6-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142000\Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2.msi' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2.msi' in a folder from which you can install t5he product Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2

I am doing all this logged in as Administrator so that's not the problem. As I said, I can't find the installation package because it is not something that I installed myself, knowingly.

Can I just manually remove the folders from v1.4.2 and then install the latest version? Will I avoid the security issue of the leftover v1.4.2 if I delete the files/folders manually?

Thanks in advance for your help. When my hard drive crashed a few weeks ago (on Christmas Eve of all things!) you guys were a great help to me in figuring out what to do.

Cindy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

Since each version of JRE is complete in itself, there should be no reason you could not simply delete the files manually, assuming you have those on your new hard drive after installing Windows, and then install the latest version.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Cindylu

Cindylu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

Thank you. I was hoping it would be that easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users