Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 program problems

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:06 AM

I have 5 year old Gateway I bought new with Windows 98. I have added various free programs in the last year or so: Adaware,AVG,Spybot,Spyware blaster,and CCleaner, with all current updates and new versions. The computer gets slower & slower. I have 128 MB RAm; 862MB Used,11.8GB free.After rebooting, I usually get 90%. When I check to see what's operating, It shows Explorer,AVGemc,&AVGcc. The scandisk freezes up before it finishes, as does the defragmenting. Going to safe mode, these will run.I don't like having to go to safe, but when it freezes, Ctrl+Alt+delete won't work, and I end up having to turn off the power, something I have heard is potentially very destructive to programs and bits of information on the hard disk. Spybot found some things a few months ago, but with the new version of AVG it never finds anything now .How important is it? I ask, because that was when it seemed to noticeably slow down. I have made settings according to forum suggestions. I would appreciate some suggestions by a knowledgeable person. Please keep directions very simple, as I am self taught and old! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:50 AM

You might want to post a HJT log to be analyzed.
That way we can eliminate the possibility of spyware/malware, being the cause of your
problem.

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, but, the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:47 PM

I am willing to do this.Remember , I'm a dummy.Your directions mention/new/folder.Do I type /new/folder /. My screen doesn't show it otherwise. Also, When I go to the Hyjackthis program, do I OPEN or SAVE to computer? Thanks.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

Click My Computer / click C: / at the top, click File / click New / click Folder / name the new folder that is created; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.

Save it to the new folder you created, then double click it, to run it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:20 PM

I finally got it where you said to put it. Now it won't open! I get that SOME FILES CAN HARM your computer notice. When I click open, I get it again. When I click save, it goes to the location. When I double click, I get the Some files stuff. Turning off the AVG does no good. Same problem. Thanks

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hi nosmiley,
tg1911 asked me to take a look at what's going on. I think the message you are getting is just Windows asking if you are sure you want to open that file. Executable files can be dangerous and Windows is kind of dumb, it doesn't know if this one is dangerous or not. You just have to tell Windows that it is OK. (Click the OK button. :thumbsup: ) However, this usually happens, altho not all the time, when you open a file without downloading it and saving it to disk. So since I'm not sure exactly where you are at, let's try a different easier way.

Click the link below and follow the instructions. It will cover everything step by step and with screen shots. You can, of course, skip step one.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-post-a-hijackthis-log/

If you do get hung up anywhere just post back and we'll figure it out. Altho I'm not much good with 98.

When you do get a log posted in the Logs forum, post a link to it back here. You may just have a resource problem or need to manage you startups and we can see your running processes and some other information that may be helpful in troubleshooting. But as tg1911 said, we want to eliminate malware as the source of the problem first.

The scandisk freezes up before it finishes, as does the defragmenting. Going to safe mode, these will run.I don't like having to go to safe

Unfortunately, from what I hear, the way 98 manages resources, it is better to defrag and run scandisk in Safe Mode. You really shouldn't be running anything else while those run anyway so being in safe mode shouldn't be a problem. Get yourself a cup of coffee or go walk the dog while they run and relax.

And smile. Whether you like smiley's or not.
:flowers:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:47 PM

Hi everybody, I think I know what is going on here. I've been lurking. That sounds like a WinZip message.

nosmiley you are trying to open HiJack from Winzip perhaps. When you have winzip open from opening the download highlight the file and click extract. In the box that opens up (Extract to) you need to have the following:

C:\Hijack This

Then click ok. Close WinZip.

Go to start>Run>Browse. In the box that pops up make sure it says C:. If not use the arrow at the side to change it. Double click program files then double click HiJack this and then highlight hijackthis.exe and click ok twice.

Ok, I'm outta here :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 04 March 2005 - 06:51 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:04 AM

I followed the tutorial and was able to get a Hyjackthisexe. icon on the desktop! Pushing the start menu doesn't give me a "MY Computer" choice. I have the following choices:Shut down;log off;run;help;find;settings;documents;favorites;programs;yahoomessinger;windows update. Hyjack doesn't show up under programs like my others do. I do have a MY Computer icon on the desktop. Right clicking the hyjackthis icon gives me the opportunity[it says] to open it, but I haven't yet for fear of messing up your plan. Suggestions? Thanks.

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:53 AM

OK, forget about Leurgy's instructions about Winzip. I mean no offense to Leurgy, but he is misinformed about the file you are dealing with. To avoid more confusion, just follow my instructions.

Please confirm that the file on your Desktop is HijackThis_sfx.exe. If so, please continue with the steps in the tutorial. The sfx file is a self-extracting file and will unzip HijackThis.exe for you so that you don't have to know how to use Winzip. If you follow those steps in the tutorial you will get a log posted.

The thing about people

is they change

#10 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

Yes, the icon is Hyjackthis_sfx.exe. To clarify my attempt: I get to step three of the tutorial where it says to hit START ,then open My Computer. My Start doesn't contain a MY Computer like figure 7, Only the choices I mentioned. Thanks.

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:36 AM

OK, sorry, I realized that after rereading your post. Just use the My Computer link on your Desktop. All you need to do is get into Windows Explorer to navigate to the Program files folder so you can start HijackThis.exe.

That's if you have already done the previous steps in the tutorial. If you haven't opened and run the sfx file yet you will need to back up in the tutorial and do that.

The thing about people

is they change

#12 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:29 PM

I went back to the tutorial. I ran the scan and followed the directions for save log file. The log file is on the desktop. However, I don't have a desktop button as described between figures 13 & 14 of the tutorial. How do I get to a screen as in fig. 14 with Edit on it? Trying to open the log from the log icon gives me the "SOME Files can harm.... stuff. Going to Notepad to see if it's there gives me the blank notepad page. Thanks

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

OK, nosmiley, don't worry about not having a Desktop button. That screenshot was taken from XP.

It sounds as tho you went ahead and clicked the Save button as represented in Figure 3, and now have the log file on you desktop. It should have opened in Notepad with the text of the log when you did that but there are some people that have some similar problems to yours. Could you please confirm that the name of the file on your desktop is HijackThis.log or Hijackthis.txt? If not exactly what is the name?

I was going to say to try to open this file anyway, but I read your previous topic where you say you can't get some files to open despite OKing thru the warning. Try that anyway if the file has a .log or .txt extension. If you still can't open it, send it to me as an attachment. My address is papakid*myway.com (substitute @ for * so the spambots don't get me :thumbsup: ) I'll make sure it gets posted and will have a look at it myself.

If I've misinterpreted and you don't have a log saved let me know exactly where you are at. Some malware does interfere with Notepad and restricts security programs and other means of detection or it could be something else, but we will work thru it.

The thing about people

is they change

#14 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:06 AM

Thank you for the response. I have the icon and it says: hijackthis.log. It is on the screen separately and below the icon for Hijackthis_sfx, so I must have the log? Back clicking the hjt log icon and clicking properties indicates it is Located : C:\WINDOWS\Desktop;size 3.08 KB;8192 bytes used with a check by archive. As I originally said, I am not very computer smart: I have never sent an e-mail with an attachment! When I right click the log icon I see SEND TO: mail recipient as a choice. Is that what I need to do to start it to you? Additionally I find if I press the start button and look in the Documents block that pops up, the hjt log is here. However, it won't open at this spot either. I hope I'm not confusing the issue, but was trying to provide you with info to work with. Oh, Iforgot: Trying to open the log repeatedly doesn't work. The Some files..... just keeps popping up.

Edited by nosmiley, 06 March 2005 - 09:10 AM.

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:55 AM

Hi again nosmiley. You're doing fine in giving me the information that I need in order to work thru this. I don't think you're dumb, you just need a bit of education in this area and that is what BC is set up for in the first place.

I have the icon and it says: hijackthis.log. It is on the screen separately and below the icon for Hijackthis_sfx, so I must have the log?

Yes the log as been saved to your Desktop and we just need to open it so you can copy and paste the contents into a post on this board. Since there appears to be a problem with opening it is why I want you to send it to me so I can see if I can open it.

When I right click the log icon I see SEND TO: mail recipient as a choice. Is that what I need to do to start it to you?

Yes, let's try that as it would be the easiest way. If you have an email client set up, such as Outlook Express, then a new message should open with the log attached. Then all you would have to do would be to type in my address in the To: field and click the Send button.

If that doesn't work, let me know. You may not have an email client set up properly or at all or it may not work for some other reason. If it doesn't work you will need to let me know what you use to send email. Some people never set up an email client, which is a program installed on your computer, but instead only use web-based email such as Hotmail or Yahoo.

I also would like to see if we can get the log file opened with a program other than Notepad. Do you have Word or Works or any other Word Processing program set up? In any event try this:

Right click the hijackthis.log icon and choose Rename. The name should be highlighted (the text appears white with a blue background). If not, put the cursor at the beginning of the text, hold down the left mouse button and sweep across the text so that all the text is highlighted. Then type in the following:

hijackthis.txt

Hit the Enter or Returm key on you keyboard, then try to open the log file again by double-clicking on it.

Something else that would make all of this easier and you will need to know is how to copy and paste. Maybe you already know, but if not, please have a look at our tutorial on the subject:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cut-copy-and-paste-in-windows/

Another thing that can help us to help you are screen shots. I may need to see some so I know exactly what you are seeing. Please review this tutorial when you have the time.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

I'm a little handicapped in that I have never run 98 so I don't know what all is different. I may ask someone else who is more familiar with that Operating System and HijackThis to look in on this thread. When I do I'll let you know.

For now, continue to let me know how things are going as you have been doing. I should be around till about noon central time. Then in and out after that.

The thing about people

is they change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users