Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarehelp.org Good Or Bad Site?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:43 AM

during a google search i came across this web site:

http://www.malwarehelp.org/

it appears to have a lot of goodies. i have a tad more paranoia than the average person. does anybody know if i can explore this website without reservation?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

during a google search i came across this web site:

http://www.malwarehelp.org/

it appears to have a lot of goodies. i have a tad more paranoia than the average person. does anybody know if i can explore this website without reservation?

thanks.

Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing, since there are people trying to get us.

I gave the site a quick look-over, and saw a lot of common security applications - some of which I am currently using. AVG ant-virus, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the ZoneAlarm firewall are some of the security software I use. I steer very clear of anything offering on-line virus scanning, and I recommend to others that they do the same. To make a long story short, I tried one once and ended up with a bug that was installed by the supposed "scanner"!

The site legit, but as with anything else, it doesn't hurt to do a little research before installing anything (except the ones I noted. Those are good. :thumbsup: )

Edited by MattV, 17 January 2008 - 01:20 AM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

FWIW Site advisor gives it a Green: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/malwarehelp.org

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:07 AM

shanmuga & mvp?, asap, e-week article (old). I ve been to that site before. These links are just quickies I could find from work ;)

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#5 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

all replies were excellent.

i just found it strange that the site, which appears to offer so much, isn't mentioned in the IT websites that i visit.
maybe people just don't know about it.

thanks again. Ed

#6 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

all replies were excellent.

i just found it strange that the site, which appears to offer so much, isn't mentioned in the IT websites that i visit.
maybe people just don't know about it.

thanks again. Ed

I doubt if IT sites would mention free software. No matter how good such software may be, most companies probably wouldn't let their IT people install it - simply because it's free. To the corporate mind, free = bad.

#7 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

mattv,
i should have been more clear. these are forums that i visit, like castlecops, wilders security and techsupportforums.

thanks for the reply, Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users