Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Crashes Every 10 Minutes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 sania05

sania05

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

Hello there,

I wonder if any of you can help me with a strange internet problem which may be related to a virus or to some sort of system issue. A few weeks ago, I started getting all kinds of pop-ups, which eventually became unbearable. I managed to track part of the problem to a Vundo virus which I (seemingly) successfully removed today (after using Spybot, Ad-Aware and BitDefender). However, there is still one major problem. For some reason, once I reboot my computer, I can stay online for only about 5-10 minutes (not sure exactly when the count begins). Then I have to reboot again, and so on. The strange part is that I no longer have any of those pop-ups, and the computer is working well in every other sense. But obviously, it's not very practical to turn off your computer every 10 minutes in order to return to the internet. By the way, this is affecting both the Explorer and Firefox browsers. The problem actually began when an IT person tried correcting that pop-up situation.

Any idea what this problem might be? And any suggestion for how to solve it? I would be most appreciative of any advice. And please forgive me for posting this in another part of the forum -- I am just not sure what the cause is.

Thank you in advance,

Sania05

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:29 AM

This may give you some insight to the problem ;

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error or crash occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cpl
Click Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.

* Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
* Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
* Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information that will allow you to better trace your problem.

Good Luck !

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#3 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hello,
Just so that I understand, your computer does not crash or bsod, you just can not stay online?
If your machine has been on for a while can you still connect for a few minutes?
It sounds like maybe the infection still has traces on it. Could be a host file or malware that is trying to connect to a web site but does not have all the files so it messes up your connection.
Have you posted a HJT log in the malware forum?
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#4 sania05

sania05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thanks to both of you. I'll try to do the things you've suggested, and, yes, the computer itself doesn't crash. Simply, the connection to the internet just suddenly disappears, although the little bar at the bottom of the screen indicates I'm still online. And I cannot get back online, unless I reboot the computer.

Sania05

Edited by sania05, 17 January 2008 - 11:46 AM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

You may want to try the LSP Fix for this problem
Please read the BC Tutorial
LSP-Fix is a utility designed to remove and repair problems associated with a a type of software called a Layered Service Provider, or LSP. LSPs are designed to integrate directly into your TCP/IP layer, the protocol you use to communicate on the Internet, in order to manipulate data that is sent across it. The LSPs are installed in such a way that each LSP in the TCP/IP handler are chained together. If one of these LSPs is removed incorrectly, that chain could become broken, possibly removing your ability to connect to the Internet or a network.

Using LSP-Fix to remove Spyware & Hijackers
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

I found this in BC Forum;

May ad insight, . . . .

" Try running a network diagnostic first. Click Start, then Help and Support, and then click Tools (it's under See Also). Then look to your left and press network diagnostics and then press Set Scanning Options. Make sure everything is checked except the Verbose one. Then press Save Options and then click Scan Your System. See what that comes up with.

You can also try pinging 127.0.0.1 or Google to see if your network connections are intact. To do that go to Start, Run, then type in "cmd" (no parentheses). When the command line opens, type in ping www.google.com or ping 127.0.0.1.

Last thing you have to check is if your firewall is on. Experimentally try turning it off and see if IE works. *I don't recommend you do this one without consulting one of the HJT team or mods/admins here first. "

You may have virus or malware, therefore you should check the normal avenues on that, hoping that you have a resource for this already installed.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#7 sarah-m

sarah-m

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

I seem to have this same problem except i dont have to reboot my computer. Instead my computer has a switch to turn on/off wireless capability. If i lose connection i turn the switch to off for a sec, then back on and i get a connection again. Sure is annoying though.

#8 sania05

sania05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for all your help so far.

Unfortunately, the remedy of turning on/off the wireless switch doesn't work on my computer. Jove's prescription hasn't worked either. I haven't yet LSP-Fix. I read the tutorial and am worried that I will remove some files that I shouldn't, so I am hoping to have by me someone who understands computers better than I, when I try this tomorrow.

I don't know if it means anything, but I have noticed that the numerical address at the left-hand corner of the screen (one of those 172.38.346... -- something like that) appears to be different from what it should be at the point where the connection goes off line. It's almost as if something is directing the browser to go to an address which disables the connection. Does this make any sense?

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:56 AM

Hi sania05,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users