Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

If there's a newer version of my BIOS available, should I update? Or is that something I should do only if there's a major system problem of some kind?

FYI, I run Vista Home Premium on a Dell Dimension C521. BIOS is Dell Inc 1.1.6 04/07/2007, and I found a more recent version on the Dell site.

(Don't know if this is the right forum for this post.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:19 AM

As you suggested, I would only update my BIOS if I encountered a major system problem. Do so at your own risk. Before installing a BIOS update make sure you have turned off the the virus warning feature as this may block attempts to update/change the BIOS.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:54 AM

This is one of those areas that if it ain't broke don't fix it. The only time that you need to update the BIOS is if you have new hardware that won't work without the update. If you have a problem flashing the BIOS you will wind up without a computer until you either purchase another chip or a new motherboard. I would find out what manufacturer and version you BIOS is before you try anything so that you can purchase another chip if things go south. SIW will show what BIOS you have and what version.

Edited by dc3, 17 January 2008 - 05:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

All righty, then. No BIOS update for moi! :flowers:

Thanks so much, you two.

Also, thanks for the SIW reminder, dc3. :thumbsup: I forgot that I already had it installed, and its info is much more thorough than Belarc's.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

I keep Belarc, SIW, Everest Home Edition, and CPU-Z on my computer or at least the links to them as they each will do something that the others won't do.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

I like the way Belarc handles program & MS updates info, but it's not great for system info. I'll look into those other two. Thanks again.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

One more quick thing about BIOS updates. If there are several between yours and the current one, it's best to do it incrementally not all at once. As the others stated, don't do it unless you need to
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

Good hint about the incremental updates, Mark. As I run across them, I guess I'll go ahead and d/l without installing and save them on CD in case I ever need them. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users