Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 juliemango

juliemango

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

Hi all. I run Windows XP & I've had 2 HDs on my PC for 4-5 yrs, designated as "C" & "P". "P" is a 30Gb Maxtor & was titled "Backup." Today I went to do my disk defrag, and to my dismay, no "P" drive to be found. I haven't had any problems with my PC for years and all of a sudden this happens. I tried "System Restore" but none of the dates are accepted & I get a message saying I may have deleted it or removed it from the System Restore "monitor"(?) This drive had all my family pics and I'd be devastated if it can't be recovered. I checked Computer Management from the Administrative Tools (Control Panel, I think) and both drives are recognized as "0"- my C-drive & "1", the backup, formerly known as "P" drive. However, they're only recognized together in the bottom half of that window; only "C" is recognized in the top half. In the bottom half of the window, it says the Backup drive is "unknown" and the space is "unallocated." Please ....help.............

Thanks and have a great evening all.

Juliemango

Edited by juliemango, 16 January 2008 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haycg

haycg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:54 PM

If you want to try some recovery software to retrieve your pictures.
Recuva - http://www.recuva.com/
Type in JPG to group part of your pictures.
It's free but they do like donations.
OR
Scavenger
If your pictures haven't been written over on your hard drive.
The last thing that I tried and liked is Scavenger.
http://www.quetek.com/download.htm
I tell you what little I know about it. I just played with it retriving small items.
You should download to a CD not your computer. If you download or write over your
pictures their gone.
When you go to scavenger to download the Demo (Free Demo) look for this.

filescav.exe (Executable file, 1,134 KB)
filescav.chm (Help file, 54 KB)

I didn't download the help file.
Scavenger Demo will let you retrieve pictures for free.
You can't recover to your hard drive. You must use an extra drive of some kind to save
your pictures to. I used a USB Sandisk. Cost about $20.00. From that you can move the pictures
to your computer.
As best as I can tell when you buy the license they give you the code to make the
Demo work to recover as much as you want.
Select O Drive, I forget. Try different settings.
Click on the header TYPE and all your Jpeg files will be grouped together.
You don't have to buy a license to recover pictures.
I found out about Scavenger when someone wrote about recovery of 5000 pictures

#3 juliemango

juliemango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:06 AM

Thanks haycg. Tried Recuva. Problem is, C is still the only HD recognized. All the pics were on P, but Recuva is only asking me to search C. Not sure if Scavenger will give the same option only, but will try it later. Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:16 AM

I've used the paid version of File Scavenger with success.

It's a lot simpler/smarter to just conduct regular backups of system/data files than resort to recovery software ("prayer software", IMO).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users