Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need To Remove This Printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 not a geek

not a geek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

I had to use system restore to fix a problem after installing a printer. I unistalled the printer then restored to an earlier point. The new boot shows my printer program with all it's components, BUT the add install utility on control panel does not list it. Now I'm screwed because I returned the printer, which has to be hooked up to the usb to reinstall. I went to the printer website and go a clean utility, but it is still there after reboot. I need to remove thiss printer and user software. Does anyone have an idea?

{Mod Edit: Split into new original Topic~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 16 January 2008 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

It would be useful to know what kink of printer?
If it a Lexmark, HP, cannon, Brother, etc...
Please post back with as much info as you can.
Thank you.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#3 not a geek

not a geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, Old Hippie...and BTW guess I might fall under that nomenclature myself.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium operating system on a nearly new Toshiba Satellite laptop AMD Turion, 64X2 Dual Core Processor, Mobile TL-56, 1024 MB Ram DDR2 SDRAM, 200GB Hard Drive.

I instlled a Kodak EasyShare All in One 5500 Printer (certified for Vista). The document scanner would not register the scan for multiple pages on my computer screen, so after hours on tech support they admitted that it currently would not function as a multi page scanner, even thought the box said up to 35 page document scanner. I uninstalled it and returned it for a new wireless Lexmark X6500. Well I had problems with the Lexmark intallation deleting a PDF printers on my system that came packaged as part of the RealFast program I regularly need to use (specific software for Realtors used for emailing contracts) as well as the MS Office Document Imaging printer preinstalled on Vista. I reinstalled it from the RealFast program but kept getting errors which render it unusable. Tech support talk with the Real Fast vendor didn't resolve the problem. So I uninstalled the Lexmark & did a system restore, then reloaded Lexmark and the PDF printer.. which just repeated the problem again. Then I undid the system restore.

Now Lexmasrk printer is in Program folder AND the Add Remove Programs list, and it appears the driver is installed; BUT it does NOT show up in the printer list, & I can't acess it to print. Yet, I'm hoping if I uninstall it and run the clean up utility they sent me it might fix that so I can reinstall again.

However, the real problem is the old Kodak program is still on my desktop and in my program files but it does NOT appear in my Printer list NOR in my Add Remove Programs list either. So withoutit being in the Add Remove, I can't uninstall it. I looked, but can't find an uninstlal utility on the Kodak tree (at least not one labeled as such) and I no longer have the disk. Then I downloaded a clean up utility from the Kodak web site and ran it, but the problem still presists (Kodak is still in progam files, on the desktop, but not in Printers Folder or Add Remove Programs in control panel) Should I do yet another system restore to yet another restore point? Last one I did took 1 hr and 20 minutes. Or is there a better approach I could try?

And as a side line, this Lexmark is the 3rd printer I've purchased since I bought the new Vista computer . The 1st HP was not Vista certified, even tho the cleck said it was, and after investing 5 hours with tech support in India over 4 months I returned it; BUT there remains not one, but TWO copies of that HP printer in my Printer Folder.

There is one other issue that happened that could possibly be pertinent. I'll let you decide if it is related or not.

When I first bought this computer 6 months ago I had the retail outlet, Best Buy GEEK SQUAD, transfer the data from my old HP laptop with XP. After 10 days of them fiddlin with it they gave both computers back to me, said it was finally done, but did not charge me (even tho they had quoted me $300 when I assigned it to them). I noticed right away that data and files were not being found which I thought were transferred. I gave up and I hired another professional who did manage to get my files accessible for me.

I'm afraid to do anything more at this point...without good advice...because all my attempts to fix things have failed. The last guy I hired to transfer data seemed OK but he left the data files parked on my desktop in two folders which took up a lot of disk space (over 50 GB). Since everything in the the new data was working, I called him and he said I could go ahead and delete the desktop folders marked data transfer, which I attempted...after backing them up to an external hard drive. I was able to delete the larger of the 2 folders, however one of the data transfer folders could not be deleted. The computer told me I did not have permission. So I logged in as admin, changed the permissions and tried again. The 2nd time the send to recycle bin operation said there were system files (my guess was from the old XP) & I still was denied permission to delete even as admin, so I still can't get rid of them. Currently all of my data is accessible and my programs are executable....with the exception of the new printers installed on Vista.

Being frustrated after all of the unistall problems above, I purchased and ran a program called Registry Fix to clean up my computer. WOW! It found 1022 registry enties that say "file does not exist at expected location"...but the program could not repair ANY of these entries. Could these be a result of the data transfer from one system to another? OR was System Resore the culprit that created the problem? Do you know of something that will clean that up. I've read about several programs with big claims...but which one is best? And do I need two different programs....one to uninstall and one to clean registry? Or should I just leave that alone for now?

I've been three days without a printer now and in my business that is a critical problem. I could call the repair man I used before, but since he left so much junk on my computer, I'm not totally confident in his abilities either. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a geek...so please use plain language with any reply. And thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and reply.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

CCleaner will uninstall and clean the registry. You need to be very careful when working in the registry tho'
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Here's an example of the 'Uninstall' console
Posted Image

When you click on the Registry button (in CCleaner) put a check next to Application Paths, then click 'scan for issues'.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 not a geek

not a geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:10 AM

Jaycee, Thanks for the reply...But when following your instructions CCleaner does not list the kodak printer software in the application paths. And I haven't aclue how to eliminate the printer drivers either as the kodak printer does not show up on the printer list in control panel. Still the entire program and drivers seem to be showin in the tree under programs on my hard drive. Any further sugestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users